Nordland Officers Cyphers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nordland Officers Cyphers

There's not much to these devices, in terms of construction, but I would appreciate a good look from our volunteer outfit experts. Are they original?

regards, Robert
    Attached Files

These are tough, but anyone want to take a shot?

Comment

Robert, Is that one single pin? Are they die stamped IYO ?
      __________________________________________________ __
      Cheers Steve

Comment

Cyphers

I like them. They do look die stamped.

Comment

Steve, they have a single pin welded on the back, and they are die-stamped and bronze colored.

Thanks for looking, Peter - I think they are good as well.

Comment

Just compared them to a set in my collection and to me they look good.

Those I have measure ca. 18 x 15mm, if yours are cast (what they don't look like) they should be smaller.

Cheers

Comment

Fritz,

Thanks for breaking yours out, and providing measurements. Mine are 18 x 14.5 mm, exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
                Fritz,

Thanks for breaking yours out, and providing measurements. Mine are 18 x 14.5 mm, exactly.
                You're welcome.

Cheers

Comment

Nordland cyphers

Why bronze? They look more white ones to me.

They look very similar to the ones for sale at HH (Collection M.Butler).

For die-stamped ones have a neat precision.

I would say

Just my two cents.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Excelsior View Post
                    Why bronze? They look more white ones to me.
                    That puzzled me too, I think though that this is patina. Based on those pics I couldn't be sure what color they once had. Those with silver wash (when in decent condition) look very bright.

Cheers

Comment

They sure look bronze finished to me. Panzer Grenandier Regiment Nordland wore cypher in 1943-1943 in white embroidery for enlisted, white metal for NCOs, and bronze for officers. I'm not sure why, but that was the published color/material scheme.

If that's accurate, these would be officer cyphers from the regiment.

s/f Robert

Comment

They also existed in a gild variant (for officers), if indeed "bronce" toned (not owed to patina) I think they might be an earlier type.

Cheers

Comment

Robert, I thought they looked die stamped. There is a excellent generation of die cast cyphers out (LAH) which share some traits as yours.
                          Thanks for posting them.
                          __________________________________________________ ___________
                          Cheers Steve

Comment

When Steve airs a concern regarding ss cyphers it should be considered.

At this stage I still think these have a chance. The bronce tone is unusual with "N" cyphers (anyhow to me), I know it from earlier "D" cyphers etc. though.

All the edges look "relatively" even, they look crisp all over and they seem to have a flaw that I like, also the prongs look correct.

I will, if time permits, take pictures of mine tomorrow and will try to measure them accurately (they are on straps with a pip to each end).

Cheers

Comment

Fritz, good discussion additions, thanks. By regulation, these were supposed to be bronze for officers, and silver/white metal for NCOs. It was the defualt color for them, though I think officers and NCOs both shared the silver types throughout the war. Thanks for attacking the measurement again - it's tougher when they're mounted.

Steve, correct me if I'm wrong, but you were commenting on the fact that high-quality cast replicas of LAH cyphers continue to make the rounds, not that you believe these to be cast, correct? The single flat prong used with both ends sharpened is a common original feature - at least for other cyphers and devices I've seen.

s/f Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X