SS M40 Officers Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS M40 Officers Cap

I think i have this hat sold, the buyer would like to hear some coments on the tk and how its sewn down, i seen a few other caps made like mine with the zizzag stich eagle and skull, one pictured in Gary Wilkins book on headgear page 139.
    Thanks for any help i can get!
    Attached Files

pic 3

pic 3
    Attached Files

Comment

pic 5

pic 5
      Attached Files

Comment

pic 7

pic 7
        Attached Files

Comment

pic 10

pic 10
          Attached Files

Comment

Hmm, personally, I don't like the stitching but that's just my opinion.

This has been a hot topic of late and maybe it's about time we should really get to the bottom of all our preferences and dislikes because that's all it comes down to.

As far as I know, there is no guaranteed, forensic way to determine if the insignia on a cap has been period sewn on for example apart from the obvious, i.e. polyester thread and/or sewn through the lining which would obviously be very questionable.

We all have our comfort zones though and most can spot authentic machine sewing.

In this case, I just don't like the frenzied sewing but I'd never say for sure unless I could see it hand.

Comment

I'll add this but please, this is just what I see from looking at photos.

I believe I can see the ghost of an eagle on the cloth to the side of where the current eagle is now sewn.

I've been through all of this before though with people telling me that it's impossible to see something in a photo that you can't see via the naked eye.

I disagree though. It's remarkable what a macro photo can pick up that the eye cannot see.

Comment

Obviously, I'm going to get asked to substantiate my conclusions so I am prepared.

This is not proof of course but I've probably bought more original stripped caps than most have so I think I know what to look for and therefore, to me, the clues are fairly obvious.
                Attached Files

Comment

cap

Ben thanks for the imput, i have the hat in hand and i dont see the ghost eagle, i saw this hat along wih some tabs and a ss m43 walk into my friends militaria shop over 10 years ago.I know storys dont mean crap anymore, but im not a ss cap expert. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this and thanks for the help. the one pictured on page 139 of Wilkensons , the eagle is sewn down worse then mine.Ill add pics of the sticking on the skull from the back.

Comment

I seen that as well Ben and noted the skull is sewn with the same thread
                    Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
                    teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

more pics

more pics
                      These pictures are out of a book, its not the same hat.There there to compair stitching thats it.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by NBolinger; 09-22-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

last ones

last ones
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny W View Post
                          I seen that as well Ben and noted the skull is sewn with the same thread
                          so does that mean is that wrong? or the schneider(cap maker) has to use another thread for eagle and skull? im just courios

Comment

Like I said, just my opinion but I'm also a graphic designer so these things stitck out like a sore thumb for me.

Also, consider this. The stitching of the current eagle is very cropped. By that I mean they stitched it as close to the embroidery as possible. They even stopped short of the eagle's head, both sides! that's weird!

Comment

pics

ill try to get some better pics of the eagle posted tonight.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X