No announcement yet.

Late War SS Tunic - again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the markings on the inside dressing pouch. Besslein, I understand how some collectors shy away from uniforms that are not textbook - not good investments at all. But interesting all the same!

s/f Robert
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RobertE; 08-16-2011, 05:40 PM.

Comment

interesting yes,but if you ever try to resale this one ,no one will take the chance in my opinion.

Comment

This hobby is not all about "what it's worth" or what something can be sold for. I got this for the price of the (original) insignia, and see nothing to indicate it was ever an army tunic. It is obviously original.

Other than the three-hole construction for the load-bearing holes, what do you see that leads you to believe it was an army tunic?

regards, Robert

Comment

just a feeling but IMO its not an original SS piece.

Comment

Here are some interior pictures. As Bill Shea points out, the collar is larger than a standard SS or Army one, here shown next to a standard M43 SS tunic. Also, it has an odd skeletal liner configuration.

Richard, I've shown the armpit liner as well.
            Attached Files

Comment

Armpit
              Attached Files

Comment

liner -
                Attached Files

Comment

This may turn out to be something other than a wartime SS tunic, which is fine. But I don't think it was ever an army one - on the fine HBT, you'd see the elongated army style tabs through the material even if the eagle didn't show.

I think it's an interesting design that I haven't seen before, regardless of whether it's accepted as SS or not. The large collar, partial liner, odd buttons (6, not 5), equipment hole placement and numbers, and other minor points make this 1945 dated piece worth noting.

On examination, I think many collectors would consider this an original SS tunic, as Shea did when he got this tunic in his hands 11 years ago. I understand that many are reluctant to accept variants, though, and that's a good way to preserve the value of one's collection.

Thanks for the comments and discussion.

regards, Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X