Late War SS Tunic - again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late War SS Tunic - again

I have this tunic in hand and it has some features I like. It does not have the silver-grey Italian HBT, but the German grey-green material for the liner. Same stuff under the collar, inside the tops of the pockets, and the cuff slits.

The jacket shows genuine wear, and is not mint as it appeared. It has worn through the HBT in spots, and the top fold of the collar and other rub areas shows similiar wear. There is some mothing on the inside lapel. Markings are typical font for later war, size, and shape.

The buttons are very unusual, and have only partial pebbling and a glossy laquer finish. They look very late to me.

The collar insignia is bowed on the collar, and looks like it's been there for some time. The shoulderboards look good to me, and so does the sleeve eagle.

Why does this tunic have three holes? Who knows? But we do know that Italian wool, HBT M44s were used by both services (army and SS); maybe there was a move to standardize tunics given the status of the clothing industry in 1945. An all-service camo was developed to be worn by everybody, after all. As far as the four pocket design goes, there are a number of the all cotton four pocket tunics dated 1945 discussed (and approved) on the army forum, so the Germans were not done with four pocket tunics of a new design in the last months of the war.

Lastly, I am cautious about blinding following any dealer just based on reputation, but certainly Bill Shea has seen his share of SS tunics and examined this one in hand in 2000. He pronounced it original.

Comments are welcome - again.

regards, Robert
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Robert,

Could you post a clear shot of the armpit trim show in post #7 looking squarely at it? I am looking to see if the trim is made up of scrap pieces.

I have never seen the silver HBT type ling on the backside of the collar before, it may however be very common and I just haven't seen it.

Richard

Comment

Very interesting tunic Robert, I like it! Never seen this one before. The large collar more or less resembles the M44 style of course. I've seen period pictures with four belt hook eyelets, of course this could have been a period personal modification, but who knows...therefore those three eyelets on an alleged SS tunic don't put me off immediately.
                        At the other hand, it was not uncommon to see no collar tabs at all on very late tunics, also Heer issued examples... so the lack of any evidence leads IMO not necessarily to the conclusion that this could not have been Heer. Again, very likely though, a machine-stitched breast eagle would have been stitched through the liner or leave other signs of being previously attached.
                        Intriguing.

F.

Comment

Richard, I'll post it this evening but the armpit lining is a one-piece section of HBT, not pieces. The underside of the collar is not typical to me, and I'd expect to see the heavy green HBT if it were a conventional, continental issue tunic.

With the wider M44-type collar, I half expected it to have nothing but a reinforce-stitched wool collar backing, and was surprised to see this HBT.

F., I'd say it never had a breast eagle, and agree at this late stage that a bird applied through the liner would have been typical. Even if applied just hrough the outer shell, there would be a shadow with this much wear. No sign of one.

Any other suggestions?

s/f Robert

Comment

just another army tunic with ss insignia.i will never buy something like this.

Comment

Can we see the markings and their placement?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X