No announcement yet.

True Gestapo Armband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gestapo sure DID have the power of arrest (unlike the SD) and they didn't employ Hipo auxiliaries.

Comment

Original armbands can have eigentum or property stamps as are seen on the piece that started this thread. I have never seen the clarity of the stamp on a definite period piece as found on this armband. It is affixed in a manner to be easily read, which to me was an immediate red flag.

Comment

Armband

Robert,
        Is there any chance that the armband might be fake? A simple yes or no will do for me.
        Peter

Comment

Hi Peter,

No, the armband is original. It's purpose in association with the Gestapo, rules and regulations concerning arrest authority, and issuing circumstances (to whom) will remain guesswork at this stage.

regards, Robert

Comment

Hund, thanks for posting just some of the fakes circulating around.

regards, Robert

Comment

the stamp does not makes much sense to me with the ones I know so far

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
                Original armbands can have eigentum or property stamps as are seen on the piece that started this thread. I have never seen the clarity of the stamp on a definite period piece as found on this armband. It is affixed in a manner to be easily read, which to me was an immediate red flag.
                One thing I find odd indeed , is that it doesn't seem to be stamped at all , but rather printed as a whole text ( on both examples ).
                The stamp is also an integral part of the overall design itself , i.e. the text " Hilfspolizei " would be far too small & out of balance without the " stamp " part .. ?

Comment

Printing

Originally posted by Winkelman View Post
                  One thing I find odd indeed , is that it doesn't seem to be stamped at all , but rather printed as a whole text ( on both examples ).
                  The stamp is also an integral part of the overall design itself , i.e. the text " Hilfspolizei " would be far too small without the " stamp " part .. ?
                  Exactly correct. The complete text and the stamp are one. The serial number was also part of the single printing process. The number changed each time the armband was printed. The stamp part is just a generic reference to a Gestapo office. The wearer was probably responsible for court documents, etc, etc. , in an office setting.

Comment

I posted this for collectors who are interested in adding to their knowledge and collections. I figured that by posting this example, I could help a future collector who might run into one, and save him the misfortune of passing on it believing it to be yet another in a sea of fakes.

My advice: If you find one of these, buy it.

Please note: I posted pictures of a veteran buy from 5 years ago, and everything in the collection was 100 percent original. Nothing was replica. My new armband is identical to the one previous pictured, other than the issue number and it's placement. It came from a Canadian veteran, and he cleaned out a warehouse in Holland, drew pictures of many of the uniforms from which he cut insignia, and kept all his orders and a diary. This was a time capsule find.

Note no one posted a picture of this armband is a replica form, or anything close to it. The fact many forms of fake armband exists on a white background is not a surprise, and many more could be pictured. That does not make this one replica, and just because our lack of knowledge regarding it's existence does not make it bad.

Bob, the property (eigentum) stamp in visible in the posted thread of the first one of these - it is not on the obverse, but the weak stamp can be seen clearly in the previous. Didn't anyone bother to open the thread prior to posting their opinions?

I know you haven't likely seen one of these before - that is why I posted it. The issue of whether we can discern by whom it was worn, whether they could arrest anyone, or whether our loose grasp of what went on with foreign auxillaries is pure conjecture.

I've posted a picture of this band from 2006 in the center of a veteran find (for those who appreciate what that is). That's my evidence. What's yours?

s/f Robert

Comment

Robert-
                      Once you posted this item, you placed it in the arena for discussion. You are certainly confident of the originality of the piece. Other experienced collectors have questioned the item. The discussion has remained civil so let us leave it at that. Undoubtedly some will be convinced and others will not be.

Comment

Fair enough, Bob. Thanks to those that responded.

regards, Robert

Comment

certainly interesting...

Has anybody encountered an oilcloth or waxed cotton ww2 German armband before?

Comment

What is the price of an Armband like this one ?

Comment

This printed circa 1932/1933 by the Cigarette Company Sturm-Zigaretten Dresden (owned by the SA)...

"Hundestaffel"
                              Attached Files

Comment

One of the better known period (SA) Hilfspolizei photos..

"Hundestaffel"
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X