griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS Officer Tunic - Put Together or Fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears hand sewn to me but there also seems to be some suspicious bunching near one shoulder.

Comment

Gents, Many thanks for your time and interesting feedback on this tunic, in particular John Pic and Johnny R.

In some other posts the replies are just "fake!" with no other comments. Where as here I thought there were some good posts with learning points, particularly for me.

As a newbie in this area may I respectfully request someone affords me more of their time to point out what I should be looking for in relation to the shoulder ciphers as I believe mention was made of "drilled out holes." So therefore can someone show me images of an original one and then compare it to the ones on this tunic pointing out the learning points. Or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks for your time in advance
      Jim

Comment

Fake devices for all the rare types of SS and Army boards have sort of a sliding scale of quality which is related to time of production and method. The lower end fakes are made as casts of original devices or newly made forms etc. they usually have "faults" with solid fill in areas were the original devices do not. Higher end fakes are now made to overcome obvious mistakes and are better but still do not match the quality of originals.

There are threads here if you do searches for "LAH devices" etc, there will be images and more info.

Towards the tunic as a whole it really need to be looked at in person. The obvious features and mistakes are not apparent in the photos (especially for something that was bought 16 years ago) so it is hard to say. I would not jump ship yet and show it to some people over there and ask them to point things out to you etc.

Thanks for sharing we all learn when this happens.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post and give their opinions.
          Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X