No announcement yet.

SS Danzig Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the most common fake type. Compare it with the original.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Robin Lumsden; 05-14-2004, 01:09 PM.

Comment

And the back of the fake.
      Attached Files

Comment

Robin has stated that the badge was awarded for military service round Danzig, and was given to lower Ranks of the SS-Heimwehr Danzig while the Platoon commanders received the Danzig Cross 2nd Class and company commanders, staff officers and the commander all received the Danzig Cross 1st Class.The badge may well have been, but the members of the SS-Heimwehr Danzig who recieved the Danzig Cross in its two class's recieved them on the 31 August 1939, well before the start of the offensive. The presentations occured in September. The Danzig cross was for the setting up of the Nazi organisation in Danzig and was given to those troops that went to serve there before the invasion of Poland.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden
          Steven.

Nice to see we have a comedian on the forum!!
          Robin, rather than answer my post in an arrogant manner you could have just posted pix of the repros that you added later...of which I am not convinced your first one is not one of also but a dif. die?

Oh wait you are the same person that is saying that all the Dachau SS cloth is bogus...I guess some people live in their own reality...all kidding aside, this piece is highly reproduced in ENAMEL.

Comment

Steven.

No offence intended.

You are correct that the badge is highly reproduced in enamel.

But the original was also in enamel, totally unlike the first badge posted.

Comment

I believe that the enamel type badge that Robin posted is the awarded type. As for the zinc piece with "DANZIG" written on the back I have a theory. There are a number of plastic (or bakelite?) miniature German Third Reich era Standards and on the reverse of each pinback standard is the description of the standard, ie artillery, or flight, etc...My theory is that this first Danzig piece pictured could be based on the same idea as these plastic standards..ie being sold for fund raising, or this was perhaps something given out when you made a donation or of course it could be fake, but I tend to think that it is an original piece, perhaps a "tinnie" type piece such as the plastic standards. I have no evidence of this but the name on the back describing the type of flag reminds me very much of these Third Reich Standard pinbacks.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden
                Steven.

Nice to see we have a comedian on the forum!!
                no disrespect Mr.Lumsden but...in 1979 I got a cigar box full of items from my uncle who was in the 90th infrantry div. He was not a collector and there was one like the first one shown here in that box! Nothing was FAKE in the box! Cliffff

Comment

Originally posted by pimpf
                  Maker mark
                  It's real dude, dont let any "expert" tell you it is not!

Comment

My Danzig badge is identical with Robin's, its has been traced back to Andrew Mollo who turned it up.

david

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff
                      no disrespect Mr.Lumsden but...in 1979 I got a cigar box full of items from my uncle who was in the 90th infrantry div. He was not a collector and there was one like the first one shown here in that box! Nothing was FAKE in the box! Cliffff
                      Cliff.
                      No problem.
                      We just agree to disagree.
                      It happens all the time.

Comment

The RZM maker designation should be prefaced with M4. That is the code for pins and tinnies. M1 prefix is for metal uniform/headgesr insignia. That is enough to make me say that I would not own the pin.

Bob Hritz
                        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz
                          The RZM maker designation should be prefaced with M4. That is the code for pins and tinnies. M1 prefix is for metal uniform/headgesr insignia. That is enough to make me say that I would not own the pin.

Bob Hritz
                          Bob.
                          Thanks for your support.

Comment

The RZM designation is what would disturb me the most. Bob is correct in the M number that should appear on tinnies. In addition, if this is a military pin, it would have no RZM designation as this was used for political items. That is why most tinnies don't have one. You'll see them on the Reichstag tinnies, SA tinnies and others that are political in nature. Though they exist, it would also be rare to see the M designation on a tinnie without the RZM mark itself.
                            Richard V

Comment

This thread has placed a very interesting question about being a fake or not. It is not probable to prove at this point, but a few things are evident. First this is a political award and thus would cary an RZM Number, this would be corectly prefixed with M1/ then number, in this case I am not sure but think it is M1/28 which is the maker Eugen Schmidthaussler Pforheim.The absence of the RZM mark throughs a problem Why? Was this because it was forgotten or not neseccary as in the case of rings on NSDAP Long service AWARDS or was this intentional in the scence that the word Danzig is beneth it. This award being a Danzig decoration the placing of the RZM would be unneaded or possibly unwanted. The other pieces made in Danzig have a different style of Company logo to that which was known to have been used by the firm and was in capitals M.STUMPF&SOHN with below DANZIG in slightly larger capitals.This was incused. A sugestion looking at the evidence is that this could have been produced by a firm in Germany as a second piece for the Unit, marked as such taking into account the facts that the badge was a political award but not from Germany, thus not under the RZM controle. These points are brought forward hopefully to stimulate discusion. A finnal thought, are these the originals and the ones with the varriant Stumpf logo all fake?

Comment

The Danzig POLICE (not SS) also used the TK, as on this trumpet banner.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X