Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Danzig Badge

Hello !

Looking for information regarding this Danzig SS badge.

1. Is this original ?
    2. Was this badge just a souvenir or what ?
    3. What a real market price ?

Regards,
    Alex
    Attached Files

Stumpf & Sohn Danzig, ges.gesch

thats a ss-heimwehr Danzig Ehrennadel. Often maker marked with Stumpf & Sohn danzig, ges. gesch. Should be in silver and with a member number. This is a rare piece if real. at least 1000 euro. can you make your pics bigger?

Comment

hy alex,
      its really a rare badge like schönbeck said.
      from the pics you've posted i would say that i'm not sure about it, i would pass on it.
      christian

Comment

Well ... I will ask a seller about bigger pictures. The badge is zinc made, no silver ...

Comment

Bigger photos ...
          Attached Files

Comment

Reverse
            Attached Files

Comment

Maker mark
              Attached Files

Comment

Alex.

Sorry, but the badge you have shown is a fake. Originals were in silver, not zinc.

The SS-Heimwehr Danzig 'Honour Pin' was an award, and was given to all NCOs and enlisted men of the SS-Heimwehr Danzig who participated in the actions in and around Danzig in September, 1939. (Platoon commanders received the Danzig Cross 2nd Class and company commanders, staff officers and the commander all received the Danzig Cross 1st Class).

So the badge was like a junior version of the Danzig Cross for the SS-Heimwehr.

Danzig was where the Totenkopfhusaren were garrisoned in imperial times, which is why the death's head formed the centrepiece of the Heimwehr's flag, on which the badge was based.

After the conquest of Poland, the Heimwehr was absorbed into the new Totenkopf-Division, and a few men from that division can be seen in wartime photos wearing the Danzig badge on their tunics, like an assault badge. It was therefore a treasured award, and permitted to be worn permanently by holders.

Here's a photo of an original in my collection, to compare.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Robin Lumsden; 05-13-2004, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Here's the back, with the maker's mark and 'silber' designation. They used the word 'silber' on this pin, rather than an '800' or other hallmark. The badge has also had a serial number engraved on, but this has been erased for some reason.
                  Attached Files

Comment

OK, thank You for information !!! I will pass on this badge.

Best regards,
                    Alexander

Comment

Here's the SS-Heimwehr in action in September 1939. The skull is again a take-off from the Danzig hussars and was the first use of the totenkopf on SS vehicles - predating the well-known tactical symbol of the SS-T Division.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I think the first badge posted is real and the second closely resembles a fake commonly encountered...but I am not 100 percent sure of this, although from memory the fakes that you see all over the place look like the second piece...can anybody post pix of the known fake version...I would not dismiss the first one and it is the only painted one I have ever seen...age on it looks real and not artificialy done.

Comment

Steven.

Nice to see we have a comedian on the forum!!

Comment

Could this be a "tinnie"?
                            Pete

Comment

Pete.

I can see where you're coming from, but the RZM's 'M1' designation wasn't used on tinnies.

Other flag tinnies were part of the WHW charity series and were not RZM marked.

So the markings on this are wrong from whichever way you look at it.

Wrong for the official award, and wrong for a tinnie.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X