SS Cape Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eagle

What kind of eagle is shown on the Diplo cape in post #19?

Comment

OK, having looked through some references, the measurements I have are:
      Government Official cape eagle (left facing)- 195mm +/- 10mm
      SS Cape eagle (left facing)- 110mm +/- 10mm
      Wewelsburg- what does yours measure?

Comment

Mine is same measurements is right on the money 110 mm as you say almost 4 1/2 inches.SAME AS DaveJs. The diplo Eagle is about 71/2 inches or 195 mm Remember measure eagle only the plus/minus 10mm considers the wool backing I believe.
        Peter you should know right away if its Diplo.If it measures same as mine its a variant,or possibly meant for the unifrom sleeve as shown in the black/white photo.If over 7 inches its Diplo.
        If the SS eagle was on your chest it would face your LEFT arm as ALL OR MOST ss EAGLES DO{EXCEPT EARLY VT /POST OFFICE TYPE},its simple,SS eagles face THAT WAY FOR party,opposite FOR DIPLO AS all DIPLO EAGLES DO ON UNIFORMS....Mine is same measurements exactly 110 mm as you say almost 4 1/2 inches.SAME AS DaveJs.

as far as what was on what..all examples facing the party direction have SS rzm tags,and on ALL 3 capes I know of..Mine,the other long one I posted,and the one at the SOS{Wolfes?}all face the same way.The one pEter owns is a Diplo eagle for the cape.Peter in Hayes book mine is on top facing the SS way,your under it is also called SS,but I believe its Diplomat.Im going to Email Arthur again on this,but he had stated ther is only one type of SS eagle the type shown here,he bought yours later on and decided not to put it on the cape as it didnt match the original eagle.Its either a VARIANT or DIPLOMAT,Im leaning toward Diplomat.

Peter mine matches the SS measurements if yours does to its a variant,if it matches the Diplo eagle measurements its Diplo ...simple!
        Last edited by wewelsburg; 05-12-2011, 08:57 PM.

Comment

But remember Diplomatic eagle faces to its right, Government Official/SS eagle faces to its left...

Comment

So is this a Government official???This is the color photo of the black and white from Peter.So is Peters Diplo and this shot Gov.Official?Peter we need to know your measurements hahaha,The SS ones here conform with SS length measuerments of 110mm

Last edited by wewelsburg; 05-12-2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Eagle

I cannot communicate properly right now because I am off line.
              My eagle is big. Larger than those identified here as SS. Wewelsburg, your eagle is also made different than the RZM tagged versions. Look at the head and shoulders.
              What is the source of the measurements and the determinations being made regarding what's what? I mean there are only 3 examples of SS eagles on capes. Does that account for all possibilities. Perhaps it does? I think so far, mine is the only example facing the eagles right side. Did Diplo and G.O. Have different cape eagles? Does anyone know?? I think my eagle may be G.O.
              Peter

Comment

The measurements I quoted for the Diplo/Gov. Off., as well as the left/right facing info, were obtained from "In the Service of the Reich" by Angolia. The measurements for the SS eagle were obtained from various published sources as well as surviving specimens; remember that there is a certain quantity of surviving unused/tagged examples of the SS eagle as well. In my opinion, yours is much rarer, and far more desirable...Whether the left/right facing thing was an official distinction or not, I still feel that your eagle is of "Diplomatic" origin, based on its size, quality, and similaries to period pictured pieces (I love alliteration!)

Comment

Comment

Comment

All super eagles!

Comment

Rather old thread but, where I'm researching Cape eagles this week, I felt the participants might have some insight into my bird.

Was originally posted by Ed Anderson (http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...73747#poststop) and after picking up the bird from George Peterson, I posted some better photos. Clearly, it's a match for the Political flag bearer's gorget. Size-wise it's eight inches across.

I would love were you to share any observations. or thoughts based on your research into such eagles.

Thanx, Rick

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X