No announcement yet.

Fantastic SS honour present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't one sold at the HH auction last year as well, but w/o the name plate?

Bernhart - how much did you pay for it?

Mil

Comment

about a cased GCiG.

Comment

Found it at Thies auction 42. Sold for 2500Euro+20%

Comment

it was previously owned by a waf member here

Comment

Award

As an ex-draftsman and artist, I get really bothered when something isn't straight. Unless the top is bent from being dropped, I can't imagine an original Third Reich artisan going to the trouble to make such an award, acid-etching and all, but they put the top on crooked. Possible - but that just bothers me. The runes should either be vertical, or tilted to the right, not tilted to the left (unless it's a collar tab). I could be off base, and the thing COULD be completely authentic, but that's just the darn trouble with these kinds of things. You'll never REALLY know if you have a prize, or a nice facsimilie. I don't care HOW wonderfully something is made - it doesn't make it real. The jury is out on THIS one and isn't expected back anytime soon. NOTE: Many times, when you have a particular piece that has an actual connection with a known figure, (Not saying this is what's happened here), but fakers troll wikipedia, forum sites, etc., then embellish the item with that name. Then, they either sell the item ALONG with a photocopy of an actual soldier with that name, thus (theoretically) providing their own provenance. Either that, or they advertise the item, KNOWING the prospective buyer will likely research that person. Then, when the buyer finds that person on a Dienstaltersliste or wikipedia, they rush back to the guy, chomping at the bit to buy the item. Moral to the story: Don't be a sap.

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
              As an ex-draftsman and artist, I get really bothered when something isn't straight. Unless the top is bent from being dropped, I can't imagine an original Third Reich artisan going to the trouble to make such an award, acid-etching and all, but they put the top on crooked. Possible - but that just bothers me. The runes should either be vertical, or tilted to the right, not tilted to the left (unless it's a collar tab). I could be off base, and the thing COULD be completely authentic, but that's just the darn trouble with these kinds of things. You'll never REALLY know if you have a prize, or a nice facsimilie. I don't care HOW wonderfully something is made - it doesn't make it real. The jury is out on THIS one and isn't expected back anytime soon. NOTE: Many times, when you have a particular piece that has an actual connection with a known figure, (Not saying this is what's happened here), but fakers troll wikipedia, forum sites, etc., then embellish the item with that name. Then, they either sell the item ALONG with a photocopy of an actual soldier with that name, thus (theoretically) providing their own provenance. Either that, or they advertise the item, KNOWING the prospective buyer will likely research that person. Then, when the buyer finds that person on a Dienstaltersliste or wikipedia, they rush back to the guy, chomping at the bit to buy the item. Moral to the story: Don't be a sap.
              I agree completely, I would never be comfortable with this piece, unless some substantial information surfaced.

It makes no sense; no listed, implied, or obvious reason for bestowal, weird design, no record of this "award" existing. Yikes, for the price paid, I would not roll the dice with this piece.

Comment

Award

The brass plaque lettering appears to be cast. A piece like this would likely have hand-engraving. More bad news to follow................

Comment

At first I could not see an umlaut over the U of Führer, then I saw that it was not stamped correctly, it is lop sided. I am also very skeptical of the way Heißt has been spelled out as Heisst.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Award

I didn't see the umlaut at first. A professional award-maker would have allowed room for the umlaut - pure and simple. and, as I earlier stated, the letters would have been hand-engraved. This thing has more red-flags than China.

Comment

I didn't see the umlaut at first. A professional award-maker would have allowed room for the umlaut - pure and simple. and, as I earlier stated, the letters would have been hand-engraved. This thing has more red-flags than China.
                      I agree.

Comment

I can follow your arguments, too many red flags for me too, will ask for refunding the item.

thx for your help!!!

cheers Bernhard

Comment

More red flags than China! That is funny!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Possibly a unique one of a kind "tilt" variant?

Comment

I didn't see the umlaut at first. A professional award-maker would have allowed room for the umlaut

A German one would....

Comment

Personally I think any handicraft things can happily be made today... Look at the tons of engraved SS Silver around.... ciggie cases, dishes, etc. etc...

Some hobby engraver (who is probably pretty damn good" buys any silver piece and engraves it, sends it the Berliner Auktion haus and makes enough for beer and cheap women.

it is and will always reamain the problem with these kind of pieces... what a craftsman could do 70 years ago, another one could do today...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X