No announcement yet.

Dachau insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David, I agree i guess, plenty of people there with plenty of time on their hands, diplomatically put as it were

Comment

Just a minor point of interest.

It strikes me that many of the badges stored at Dachau were either obsolete (like the police eagles) or related to SS units that had been disbanded (e.g. Handschar) or planned but never fully set up.

Just a generalisation ................. but valid, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by John T View Post
        ............ when you say raute (I was not sure about the terminology).
        The raute was the eagle in a diamond.

When the Feldgendarmerie sleeve eagle was replaced by the standard SS sleeve eagle for SS military policemen, the raute was authorised for those (the majority) who had been in the regular police. Thus they kept some semblance of their police insignia.

Comment

Hi Robin-

Thank you for that information, it is very interesting.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John T View Post
            Hi Robin-

Thank you for that information, it is very interesting.

John

Comment

Here's an old grouping I found a few years ago.
              Attached Files

Comment

Nutmeg,

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!

I noticed you are from CT, I am as wel! Did you find these in the state? Also I am no SS insignia expert but how do you verify a "Dachau" made item?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by panzer224 View Post
                  Nutmeg,

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!

I noticed you are from CT, I am as wel! Did you find these in the state? Also I am no SS insignia expert but how do you verify a "Dachau" made item?

Regards
                  These were an estate find from New Jersey. I am not sure what was actually made as far as insignia goes at Dachau proper but I suspect most of it was shipped there by the makers and from the storage there distributed to the various units.

Comment

Nutmeg,

Thanks for the info! I have always been curious as to what classified "Dachau" insignia.

Comment

I was always under the impression that many uniform items were both manufactured ,completed and stored here..

Lager der SS-Bekleidungswerke... Billbert

Comment

Originally posted by nutmeg View Post
                        Here's an old grouping I found a few years ago.
                        some realy nice cuffs in that haul

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
                          Just a quick question, probably showing my ignorance here, but why did they store all these items at Dachau of all places?

Hi,

Dachau was not just a camp, it is a district/Suburb.... so the camp was just a portion of it.

Best
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
                            Hi,

Dachau was not just a camp, it is a district/Suburb.... so the camp was just a portion of it.

Best
                            Chris
                            Ok, i see, so the insignia were made elsewhere at Dachau and stored at the camp itself?? Would that have been a good place to store such items?

The inmates of the camp were not forced to manufacture these items then?

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
                              Ok, i see, so the insignia were made elsewhere at Dachau and stored at the camp itself?? Would that have been a good place to store such items?

The inmates of the camp were not forced to manufacture these items then?

I dunno,
                              not all SS men stationed in Dachau had to do with the camp. I would bet the stores were not within the wire either.

Thesre was a weapons school, training areas etc. etc... all near the camp, but not psrt of it.

We automatically assume GIs would have stumbeled over emaciated corpses to fill their pockets with badges...

In all reality the store could have been a KM away.

There is also no proof that I see that prisonners had anything to do with the making?

IMHO just the word Dachau allows people to jump to comclusions...

Damascus blades, Porcellain, collar badges... all "Dachau" but probably nothing to do with the camp... Unlike Auschwitz there is more to Dachau than a camp.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X