ss m40 cap ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
    The cap looks good (period KM) , but, once more, from these pics I feel it might have been dyed black in order to create a "ss panzer side cap".
    Fritz, what makes you think/why do you think that "it might have been dyed black"? Only because it is black? Any other reasons? because honestly I cannot see Anything that would suggest me that it has been dyed.

Comment

Originally posted by bnz. 42 View Post
      Fritz, what makes you think/why do you think that "it might have been dyed black"? Only because it is black? Any other reasons? because honestly I cannot see Anything that would suggest me that it has been dyed.
      What makes me believe that is the look of the lining material and the thread used on the inside. It doesn't look to me like it was "black" all the time, the thread for instance looks like it didn't adopt the black dye very well which is a general problem that dyed caps have.

I would suspect that if you'd wash that cap in clear water the thread would become even lighter in color.

I also find the way the interiour is presented a bit strange. Looks like a picture someone would make that wants to show the interior but not too much of it.

But again, that is what it looks like to me based on these pics.

Comment

What makes me believe that is the look of the lining material and the thread used on the inside. It doesn't look to me like it was "black" all the time, the thread for instance looks like it didn't adopt the black dye very well which is a general problem that dyed caps have.

I would suspect that if you'd wash that cap in clear water the thread would become even lighter in color.

I also find the way the interiour is presented a bit strange. Looks like a picture someone would make that wants to show the interior but not too much of it.

But again, that is what it looks like to me based on these pics.
        Extra caution is good in this hobby but I think the color of the wool, the lining material and threads inside and out are actually very nice and original.
        I am not saying that it automatically means it is Pz.SS cap as KM did used black (not only dark-navy) overseas caps identical to Pz. SS.
        After some research I made on these caps, I believe, it is simply impossible to be confident in any of them. It is like a gas mask - no way to know if it has been used by SS or WH.

Comment

Have a look at the top center section of the lining as well. But yes, better pics would help.

Comment

hello
            here better pic the top is made with 2 fabrics
            all the cap in a kind of satinette and the top in coton

Comment

Looking at this pic I am certain it has been dyed black.

Comment

re

Looking at this pic I am certain it has been dyed black.
                it comes from a friend of my father, who lives in Germany, I were to pay to have it, but he gave it free to me .

I don't see the interest to dye it
                because I received it for free now
                there were traces of old ss eagle
                ( i put my ss eagle and bingo, i is exactly the same seam )
                and now in my hand, i can see the seam of a skull and not a cockarde

I showed it with my grandmother, she worked in a dyeing for 1949 to 1987, and she told me that the black is of origin and not dyed.
                but you're right on the pic it look like dyed ,but in hand it is not the same color it' s dark black and on the pic it's a light black
                maybe not an pure ss cap , for sure used by ss
                on the web you can find a lot of pics of mikael wittmann or other ss tankist with heer cap with eagle and ss skull added .
                but know that i have the cap in my hand, I can affirm you that this side cap was used by the waffen SS

best regards

Comment

Originally posted by sherminator View Post
                  hi guy's a german want to sell it for a panzer cap .
                  Ok, so a german guy, according to this you have just received the item:
                  but know that i have the cap in my hand, I can affirm you that this side cap was used by the waffen SS
                  But wait, why did your german friend take pictures with a french type keybaord in the background? I am from germany and I have a big fat Ä on that part of the keybaord?

t comes from a friend of my father, who lives in Germany, I were to pay to have it, but he gave it free to me .
                  Alright first he asked money now that you confirmed with your grandma that it's good it's for free. Great.

I don't see the interest to dye it
                  Yes, what interest should there be?

I showed it with my grandmother, she worked in a dyeing for 1949 to 1987, and she told me that the black is of origin and not dyed.
                  Great then your grandma should become a member here.

This whole thing is way too weird, I am out, enjoy your free cap.

Comment

Thé pics were take in belgium

Comment

Would like to add a maker stamp on my KM cap that is also 0/0422/5034 and size 57 for reference.
                      Attached Files
                      Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X