No announcement yet.

Portrait SS-officer with TWO runes-Collar tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting observation Mark Yerger about seeing this on the uniforms of staff officers and adjutants..maybe it was practiced by them for a short period of time.

Comment

Personally I think that they should have only had the dual collar tabs. It's like the no salute zone rule. A Russian sniper or any sniper for that matter will be more attracted to a collar tab of a higher ranking man. The reason they would be attracted is the higher the rank of the man the more flashy the collar tab is.

Comment

Cary Miligan posted a photo showing an SS-oficer with double SS Runes collarpatch. It is SS-Obersturmbannführer Willy Fortenbacher, presumably at the time he commanded the SS-Inf.ErsBtl Germania in Arnheim. Are more photos of him or the Btl in this period known.

best regards

Nico

Comment

Regarding the double SS collar tabs:
          It was, for a very short time, a regulation. Pre-war/early war.
          The Waffen SS wanted to be seen as a military unit, in stead of a political unit (for example: on both side of the jacket shoulder boards, in stead of the political system: on the right side of the jacket a shoulder board). Military units never had the rank on collar tabs. For the SS this would mean, on both side SS runes/totenkopf collar tabs.
          But when the camouflage smock was introduced, the shoulder boards weren't visible anymore, so the rank was also not visible anymore. The collar tabs came over the smock, they cancelled the wear of double SS/TK collar tabs.
          They went back to the old system: on the right side the SS tab, on the left side the rank tab.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Comment

I would love to have a picture like that in my collection, really interesting info thanks for sharing guys

Comment

Last edited by Der Alte; 06-27-2020, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Can't see image? Anyone else with the X box?

Comment

Hans Bünning (Art Rgt Kdr 5SS, shown in Angolia without ID), Erwin Mix (Ic, 2SS, in Knights of Steel vol. 1), Gille (early shot, later Diamonds holder) and others are seen in portraits. Doubt is was a standard reg for all to wear or far more would be seen in photos.

Comment

Erwin Mix, published some 20 years ago in Knights of Steel volume 1. History texts offer militaria data, missed by many at their expense.
                    He was Ic with "Reich" at time of the photo.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stdub View Post
                      Maybe this helps .... same man, same cap, two years later.
                      why is this image cut off?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X