Is this a foreign made eagle?
    Attached Files

which is found on this tunic
    Attached Files

Comment

along with these Police in SS service pocket runes
      Attached Files

Comment

which have been on this tunic for a very long time!
        Attached Files

Comment

With respect I believe it's a stripped Orpo tunic that's had a pair of relatively cheap pocket runes added and a fake eagle.

Think about it .... post-war why would the litzen be removed and the runes and swastika bearing eagle remain ?

Ian.

Comment

Not a standard post 1936 Polizei tunic as it has slash lower pockets instead of the regulation patch lower pockets made with or without pleats. Certainly an odd configuration for a supposed post circa 1938 SS-Pol tunic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
              With respect I believe it's a stripped Orpo tunic that's had a pair of relatively cheap pocket runes added and a fake eagle.

Think about it .... post-war why would the litzen be removed and the runes and swastika bearing eagle remain ?

Ian.
              I was waiting for just such a question.

I was told about a number of nazi items about to be offered in an antique shop which have just recently arrived from the dealers friend in Germany. Most of the items are military manuals, WWI photos, letters, post cards, a few stick pins etc.

The owner brought this tunic in to show me after I found out about everything and began asking questions. The dealer was actually beginning to strip the tunic in order to make it "politically correct", as not to offend any customers given the fact that we have a very large Jewish population here. She was going to bag each item in order to sell them seperately. The tabs are here. You can see that the nap beneath where the tabs were applied is in perfect condition and color. The overall nap is quite worn throughout the jacket.

I have been thinking the exact same thing as the first two responders to this thread and have thought about removing both the pocket runes and the eagle but I am worried that if I do, then what happens if the nap is just as nice beneathe them as well? The wear to the tunic is honest and original, as are the badge loops. There is no sign of any CT ever having been on the tunic.

I too am very leary of the sleeve eagle but I know that some of the Belgian and other countries made eagles were pretty sloppy and nothing like the German made eagles. I am not holding out a lot of hope with this one but I want a thorough discussion before I go tearing it apart.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by vonStubben; 12-28-2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

IMHO the sleeve eagle and the pocket runic patch are both fakes.

Bob

Comment

Hard to see in this photo but the color and nap is quite different where the tabs were applied.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Scan of the runic patch.
                    Attached Files

Comment

To me the eagle looks fake, and doesn't appear to have an unterlagen...

Comment

Based on the green piping along the edge and cuffs (and the fact that it lacks brown Polizei cuffs)
                        its not a text book Ordungs Polizei tunic....
                        Could it be an early zoll/customs tunic? Now spruced up with questionable ss insignia...?
                        but the color does appear to be more Polizei than the greener zoll color and the green piping
                        around the color and the fact that the collar is made in the same material does make it more inlibe with Polzei.
                        A strange bird! I can't place it but foreign made might explain such oddities!
                        Last edited by NickG; 12-29-2009, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Before going to bed last night I did a search on the forum and found at least 5 different examples of original SS pocket runes.

The aluminum thread used on this example is quite what one would expect to see with an original collar tab etc. I don't know what to think. I can say though, that the thread used to apply the patch is definately of the period and is not a modern type thread.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                            Based on the green piping along the edge and cuffs (and the fact that it lacks brown Polizei cuffs)
                            its not a text book Ordungs Polizei tunic....
                            Could it be an early zoll/customs tunic? Now spruced up with questionable ss insignia...?
                            but the color does appear to be more Polizei than the greener zoll color and the green piping
                            around the color and the fact that the collar is made in the same material does make it more inlibe with Polzei.
                            A strange bird! I can't place it but foreign made might explain such oddities!
                            The color is definately that of OrPo and not Zoll. The color of the tunic is proper for police clothing.

Comment

Charles,

I think you are doing exactly the right thing by asking good questions before removing the insignia.

I think the tunic is possibly an earlier police tunic but before I comment I would like to see some photos of the interior, exterior back, and interior of the collar. Any markings at all?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X