Private purchase ring....I believe to be a repro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private purchase ring....I believe to be a repro

Found this ring...bought it because it was cheap...but feel its not original, but here are some shots to peruse, please post your opinions...thanks ..

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

ring has been resized at one time... All comments positive or negative appreciated.
              Last edited by juoneen; 11-19-2009, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Are there any stamps in it.? The ring is a known pattern, but faked very often. I have to see the stamps and the end of the snakes on the ring - sides.

Comment

Fake?

If this the fake, what does the original look like? This is just a ring with a skull on it with snakes in the background. It could have been made in the US in 1951for all we know. Is this pattern a known German produced style?

Comment

Ring

I don't care for the detail of the teeth. This looks more like a poor casting than normal wear. The oak leaves are also very poorly executed. These kind of rings weren't fancy, but the workmanship was usually much better than this. I'm not saying it's fake for sure-but personally, I wouldn't buy it.

Comment

the oak's shows that It's a german pattern, but about originality I can't help.

Comment

This IS a good known pattern. Period advertisements, period photos in wear etc.. These photos aren't too good.. From these photos though for now I'd vote a old fake..

Comment

I havent seen anybody selling this style as a fake,anywhere as to date... but I also honestly believe it could be a reproduction , but why then the deep dished recessed back. ?I would think a repro would be solid on the back .

Dimples for the eyes are not as pronounced in the rear , as most found in this style configuration of ring, wich was originally sold in hungary.

Many feel they were made in rumania, but i believe this style normally found with the dogs head marks coffin recessed proofs ,denote hungarian manufacture, and not roumania, as beleved, as i have checked the mark on official silver sites where registered patented manufacturers marks are listed.The dogs head is hungarian exclusively.

This ring under magnification has very little flawing, but thats not the reason i feel it may be a repro . Its because it has a mark thats either 925 or 825,8 or nine is light , and partially worn away. It has a small indent i couldnt get clear ,but has the coffin shape, but mark inside isnt discernable...any longer.

So the question is: Have there ever been any 925 versions at all of this style found to date...??.

I bought this one to cut the back , and add a piece, as this one is too small to fit me, and has already been sized down at some time in the past for someone with a smaller finger around a 6and a half or thereabouts.

It also has some age, thats honest, as the back of skull appears old, and not new. I believe the seller shined it up before putting it up for sale, as the eyes are still dark oxidized from time.

The person who had this had all antique rings and jewelry of all types, and was only 50.00 or thereabouts, and i just got the idea i need to contact the seller, and see where it was found to see what they know, and didnt think of that till now..

I wouldnnt want to cut, and resize an original, so not being positive , i decided to post it here first prior to the butchering. None of us has seen all there are to be found for all configurations of this style, and maybe most soldiers only bought the 800 ones, as the higher silver content versions if they ever were offered as an option , common sense tells me would have been more expensive.

This of course is just an educated guess, as they did provenly ,have 925 marked knights crosses , and other silver medals that were originals, and could be ordered that way from the manufacturing jewelers,.....so why not rings? Like medals ... we dont know IF.. the option was available or not ?

But i still feel it may possibly , or most likely be a reproduction, but if so, not recent as stated.

I am in no way suggesting this is a 100% original wartime manufactured ring, although, the person who had this had no military stuff whatsoever,and this was the only one in hundreds of different antique rings of all description. Many dealers in jewelry shop estates, and buy whatever they find , and dont always know what they have.(from my experiences)

I always look for PP rings in jewelry dealers cases, everywhere i go , have found a ww1 pilots badge in a junk boxes for 50 cents , and they thought it was just a pin, and so This one I could not resist, as you never know what youll find in junk boxes. (maybe others can substantiate this to be true from their own experiences)

Unless someone can positively identify it as fake, Its gonna get cut to wear for myself, as it only fits on my little finger between the first and second bones, it is very small.

Any flaws it has are so tiny they are almost undescirnable to see with the naked eye, and require strong magnification to even see.

It has evidence it had been resized long ago...and pieced in right at the end of the oakleaves on each side. as it can slightly be seen in the photos. Unless someone suggests to not cut it for personal wear, Ive been seeking one to wear for my own satisfaction for years to no avail, as the ss ring himmler presented isnt one i fancy to wear, as most of the copies to date except one, dont appeal to me whatsoever. I like this style PP ring best.

I just got back to this thread to again throw in my 2 cents worth, as i still believe it is most likely a well made reproduction IMO. Thanks for the comments good and bad , as it was cheap, but then again i have gotten lucky with cheap items in the past turning out to be originals, but dont feel this is the case in regard to this one.

Then again not being positive , and flip flopping like a fish, i really dont know for sure, and most likely feel most will agree with my deduction refuting its originality. Maybe they sold them In hungary post war to GI's who knows for sure ??
                          Last edited by juoneen; 11-21-2009, 02:43 AM.

Comment

oh gawd!

I can't read that. I mean looking at it exhausted me.

Comment

Mm

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                              I can't read that. I mean looking at it exhausted me.
                              ..but you read all of Mitre Mads posts!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X