No announcement yet.

Recon Boards??? w/ black underlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These boards are a tough decision as they look good in hand. I tend to agree with Ian on the size differential but let's all agree that we all have seen period photos of uniform regs falling heavily by the way side; even with shoulder boards.

I will pull some other like piping boards and look at the difference in the weave of the wool as Richard feels these may be to loose a weave. I will take some photos and perform a stare and compare to see if there is an obvious distinction in the comparisons.

Thanks for all your feedback. More is still welcomed.

Comment

Colour-wise they're recon rather than KL which (judging from Ben's beautiful piped cap) is more a 'soft coffee' brown than 'copper' brown which these straps are.

Ian

Comment

I'm not saying I believe them to be fake...I said its a possibility only because of the unusual piping material. That would cause me to take a second look.

It could also be a wool where they used thicker wool for the base weave leaving a thick appearance when the nap is gone. I have not seen wool that I know for a fact to be period with that base weave. I am not saying it's not possible.

Richard

Comment

This pair of Hauptsturmfuhrer straps, if genuine, by their piping color would represent early Recon. Gold stars were only used, for the most part, before '42, which would suggest an early mfg. Early Recon piping WAS copper colored before it assumed the golden-yellow coloration shared by Cavalry units. To distinguish the difference between the different hues of brown -- KL piping was light brown, similar to Luft. Signal piping. I agree that the piping utilized here is poorer quality than it should be, and the wear by the buttons on the bullion tops, I feel is merely a factor to convince a prospective buyer of their authenticity. It must be considered that these straps were not made during the WW II era, and were made up from parts. Wool piping should always be looked at carefully when attempting to determine orginality.

Comment

If this is "the" Dave Delich I must say welcome...and it will be a pleasure to have your input on this forum. It is not common to have someone who will actually type out an opinion. Even if you haven't posted before...there have been various posts where photos of various items of yours were used, with your permission I believe. I look forward to many more.

I certainly agree with everything in your post.

Richard P

Comment

I'm uncomfortable with this pair of boards --- you know, the 'gut feel'. The waffenfarben color and material bother me, as well as the metal pips. If offered to me I would have to pass on them.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Dave for your assessment and I appreciate everyone's feedback regarding the boards in question.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X