ss mein kampf box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albrecht View Post
    I have two questions for those who have studied these boxes.

First, was there a special SS edition of Mein Kampf presented in the box, or could the SS Mann simply put any random edition into the box?

B.A.Vierling
    As far as I have been told it appears the Hieratet marriage MK (with the couples names writtenin it) would have been the obvious one...but I have seen people show their box (in modern collections) with a standard blue MK.
    For me little is for certain with the exact ceremonial traditions used with these boxes.
    -Michael
    Last edited by Michael Fay; 06-23-2009, 03:08 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
      perhaps it would be best not to give out such measurements for the fakers.
      I have grave worries about such info falling into the wrong hands without even having to shell out the money to get one.l
      Hello Michael,

It is a legitimate concern I suppose, although a serious faker would undoubtedly need to get their hands on the actual box to make a convincing copy.

My interest was actually coming from the direction of the book, since I have come across dozens of MKs over the years, (but never the box) and was curious if there might be a method of determining whether it might have been intended and/or issued for the box, be it via dimensions, binding, verlag or otherwise..

At any rate, if anyone is comfortable privating the information to me that would do just as well.

Regards,

B.A.Vierling

Comment

I have an english blue version and it wont fit yet i tried a german blue version and it does i also agree giving out dimensions would help the fakers and as these are quite hard to come by they will have a struggle to get one to copy hopefully it stays that way, rgds Dave

Comment

look at the book

from memory the Marriage issued MK looked to fit well...
          but that was in a photo I saw a long time ago.
          As a book collector myself(but you know that already, Komrade) I would utilize the search button on his site and see if any Boxes have books in them in photos on this site (and also the web) ...eyeball the books displayed, then you know the make of the specific book, and you know very closely what size fits...

As an aside, I can see where the possibility that any MK book might have sufficed in an emergency....like the old paper cigar ring used as a standby when the real wedding ring was misplaced.

MK

Comment

Originally posted by Albrecht View Post
            Hello Michael,

It is a legitimate concern I suppose, although a serious faker would undoubtedly need to get their hands on the actual box to make a convincing copy.

Regards,

B.A.Vierling
            I think a real risk is here, especially as the photos are everywhere.

I know you mean well....but it is the fakers who have learned to study militaria sites for pointers that is the offender.

They ruin it for everyone.

Comment

The wedding edition fits lovely i tried one of them aswell , so my eyes are now peeled for a copy are the ss editions the same ? rgds Dave

Comment

Your collection

Dave,
                Your collection goes from strength to strength with some absolutely high class top end items that would grace any collection anywhere,your APB will fit nicely in there
                What next,we wait with some trepidation,banks beware!!
                Well done bud
                Regards,Ivan

Comment

As a point of interest, I believe (no proof) that these boxes would have been made in the same factories that produced SS furniture under the auspices of the Deutsches Heimatswerk.

Comment

Originally posted by sscrooge View Post
                    The wedding edition fits lovely i tried one of them aswell , so my eyes are now peeled for a copy are the ss editions the same ? rgds Dave
                    I have never seen an SS edition, Hieratet or otherwise (I guess because no one wants to sell such a grand item)...perhaps one who has will elaborate?

i am still learning .

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden View Post
                      As a point of interest, I believe (no proof) that these boxes would have been made in the same factories that produced SS furniture under the auspices of the Deutsches Heimatswerk.

That is a good idea, --- it would have been a logical venue, if one thinks about it.
                      Thanks,
                      MF

Comment

If no authority in print can be located to authenticate the purpose and use of these boxes, I am assuming we have some oral histories from SS veterans to conform their purpose? Anyone know for sure?

Comment

Happy SS couple................'Mein Kampf' tucked under the groom's arm.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice light bedtime reading....................

http://www.magitech.com/runes/gorsleben.pdf

Comment

Mine sits on the coffee table...................a talking point for visitors!
                              Attached Files

Comment

A standard "Sonderausgabe Buergermeister" (special Mayor's edition, for weddings and other special presentations), also called the "Hochzeitausgabe," fits just fine in mine. But IIRC correctly, it was a pretty tight fit with the early type of form-fitting cardboard slip case, and one with the later cardboard box with the Sonderausgabe Buergermeister marking wouldn't fit while still in the box. I'm away from home, and will have to try fitting them again.

I guess the watchword is "never say never" when it comes to Mein Kampf special editions, but I don't know of any special edition that was made just for SS weddings. I would suspect they got the same "Hochzeitausgabe" as everyone else.

I would also be interested in period documentation of the use of the "casket." Not doubting it; I've just not seen it.

I'm not saying this to impugn any dealer, but I was told that years ago Tom Johnson marketed repros of these that were pretty good because he had them handmade. Anyone ever seen one of those?

Best,
                                Greg
                                Attached Files
                                sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                                www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X