Legion Niederlande Arm Shield Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legion Niederlande Arm Shield Question

Hi, what would be the current market value for a Legion Niederlande Shield like this one?
    Attached Files

P.M. sent ..

Comment

I had this type before..,...

IMO its a copy...

Comment

I'd like to read more. Why is this a copy?

Comment

Originally posted by Jens View Post
          I had this type before..,...

IMO its a copy...
          I have one also and its in Angolia's book... also like this. I have confidence in these! Here's mine!
          Nick
          Attached Files

Comment

I Like this style of shield! unfortunately for me they are quite hard to come by...
            The one I've posted was a scam attempt, it's actually in a fellow collector's collection and was proposed to me by a guy over the internet, thanks to WAF I got warned on time and avoided to loose money for... a picture of a good shield

Nick I really like that shield you posted ... how much did you pay for it?

thank you all guys for your help !!!!!!

Comment

vullonteershield

I have my concerns too with this type of shield. About 15-20 years ago I bought one exactly the same from a respected collector/dealer in the Netherlands and you kwow what? As I inspected it at home, there was a paper remnant of a modern postcard (from the '70-80's) behind the threads, that could have come there only at the fabrication of this shield.
              An otherone I saw at a show in Dortmund-Germany had also some kind of new paper inside.
              That's why I stay away from this type!!
              I think they used this paper to ease the production for stitching the threads diagonal and when the shield was ready, they could cut the paper with a pair of siccors between the threads away. Probably they forgot it with the two shields I inspected. I've also seen some without the paper.
              Still there are many styles of Dutch shields out there which are okay

(btw: I got my money back from the dealer)

Comment

Hi Ton G,

I know there's quite a debate about this type of shields but so far I didn't have the chance to inspect one in hand, the one you owned and you found with the postcard template still in it did it glow under UV light?

Comment

shield

Hey Krieg,

I don't know if it did glow under UV, as soon as I discovered the postcardpaper inbetween I send it back to the dealer without examining it further. As I stated: the postcardpaper could have come there only with the manufacturing of the shield, so it couldn't be an original item.
                  Therefor I don't like this type of shield.
                  I don't say there was no shield like this, because fakers need to have an example to copy, don't they?

Greets

Comment

Right! Ton G ... being hand embroidered they are much easier to replicate than machine embroidered ones which have to stick to a specific template. An original specimen given to a skilled person is not hard at all to copy and as you said, the give away was the 1970s postcard cardboard used as support...
                    I'll keep looking for a real one and I mean NOT JUST A PICTURE OF A REAL ONE !

Comment

Here are some variations .. ! Picture as posted by Mario ( " Coco " ) 4 years ago . The one that started this thread is NOT among them - the one on the lower left has threads going in the opposite direction = 3 " blocks " of short threads sewn from lower left to upper right ..
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Winkelman for this awesome picture! Interesting to note the different manufacturing styles adopted. If somebody has the Baers' book on the german helmet, there's a picture of a Dutch volunteer wearing the cuff title and the shield on his left sleeve, since I've left it in Italy I'd like to have that picture posted for comparison. I only own the german made "Dachau" style shield and I was going to look for locally produced ones, this is part of my small collection
                        thanks all for your interventions and precious help
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Krieg777; 04-14-2009, 10:38 AM.

Comment

What a superb collection of shields! I love the printed one used by the Dutch Kriegsmarine volunteers.

Comment

Hi IMO the Dutch shield is original and many well known insignia collectors as well as Dutch collectors have it. What makes it original to me is that I have seen pictures of Dutch volunteers wearing such a shield. I might have some pictures by I need time to search my files.

Ton G by any chance did you take any pictures of the shield and the paper card that it came with and also what did the reverse look like?

Rene Chavez
                            Http://axis101.bizland.com

Comment

shield,

Hello collector colleges,

unfortunately I didn't take pictures of it. The postcardpaper was the regular beige-coloured paper with brown lettering used in the 70-80's in the Netherlands. I don't recall wich words/letters were visible, but it was with no doubt a piece of a "modern" postcard. I showed it to a fellow-collector and discussed with him the possibilities how the paper could have got in between the stitching, and he agreed with me there was no doubt it was a fake. The specimen I inspected in Dortmund had a different piece of paper, but also very new paper with some text on it.
                              As it is almost 20 years ago, I don't know anymore how the back of the shield looked like.
                              Because of those two specimens, I don't trust this type, but i'm not saying it didn't exist! I would like to see a clear picture of Dutch vollunteers wearing this specific shield. I think that will be a difficult task, because many types of shields resemble the one that started this thread.
                              As I said before: fakers do need an original piece to copy!!

Greetings
                              Ton

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X