Where the ss got there nordic inspiration from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John,

I have always admired (and, shamefully, have been a bit jealous of) those who have the vision, skills, and patience to convert raw materials into meaningful pieces of art. What we lack today, is art in every aspect of daily design. We live in a disposable world and you are making progress in showing that utility and art, combined, is a worthwhile endeavour.

I am thrilled to see these treats for my eyes and the knowledge that there are still craftsmen who will keep the traditions of old alive.

Thank you for this impressive display and dialogue.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Weapons

JOHN MACK - VERY NICE!! Besides making Totenkopfrings, I also make custom daggers using modern German blades. I am casting the pommel, crossguard, etc. in silver. The design is Nordic, with runic symbols on the silver handle spacers. I'll post pics when finished. NICE WORK - Good Luck!!

Comment

John Mack - excellent job in reproducing these weapons! The styles are very convincing and evocative of the aura the nazis were trying to create. Interesting info and right up my alley.

Nice display Michael.

Comment

swords

Thanks for the compliment Mike , not too many people recognize the styes of the germanic migration periods and tribal weapons of the bronze and iron age . i am happy to see that this thread is still alive.
          Last edited by john mack; 12-26-2009, 11:27 PM.

Comment

John,

You may find interesting the old TR book "Wehrraum Alpenland".
            Lots of things about migrations and weapons.

Comment

John, many thanks for posting these. Very informative.
              Just a question - did the SS as an organisation believe in this Nordic ideology, or was Himmler and his inner circle the ones behind this ideology?

Comment

Ss

Well ,from what i have read i conclude that the revival existed before the nazis . there in fact was a revival of the ancient hertiage of the nordic peoples in germany in particular . Himmler and many others who were in positions of power during the third reich helped institute its influence in all sorts of ways to the german people .It was the SS that were most indoctrinated with it IMO of course . there are other members here that may be able to provide a more detailed answer to the question posed . Yes, many did believe in this ideology, but not all.
                Last edited by john mack; 12-28-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Military View Post
                  Just a question - did the SS as an organisation believe in this Nordic ideology, or was Himmler and his inner circle the ones behind this ideology?
                  Himmler, personally, was the driving force.

From childhood, he had an interest in Germanic archaeology, inspired by his father.

As has often been said.......................Himmler WAS the SS, and the SS was Himmler.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X