Where the ss got there nordic inspiration from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where the ss got there nordic inspiration from

I thought since it is cold and winter and cant do too much out doors , i would post a pic of two swords ive reproduced from northern germany /southern denmark. These swords are a reflection of the nordic style of metal work on weapons and insignia , it is just a shot of the handles , if anyone has an interest i can post the whole sword for viewing, nordic metal work from the bronze and iron age is of some interest to me as it was to the ss ,, check out the shield ,look familiar? Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by john mack; 02-04-2009, 06:59 PM.

Nordis shield

Nordic bronze shield , these were used in german hertiage cerimonies during the 1930s this one is one that ive reproduced , not a period shield
    Attached Files

Comment

Ss

I cannot find much info on the ss design of weapons and insignia ect, i know that the influence was inspired by ancient finds and incorperated in there art and objects, i would like to learn more about this subject

Comment

ancient weapons-ancient gods

yeah, not much will be found in english on this fine subject,especially academic work with actual works cited info.
        By the way not only SS but early SA was also interested, Alfred Rosenberg's historical group also. The WHW tinnies have examples almost exactly like you are showing. There was a pre nazi interest(even a German fad, if you will) in the ancient traditions that the nazis continued and/or inherited from the teens and 1920's. This was complementary with the popularity in antiquarian and occult circles with the ancient Runes. Early SS also brought back ancient musical instruments called "lurs" a kind of elongated metal horn. Most of these types of weapons have been found in ancient sacred bogs where the victors in war would usually ritually damage the weapons (presumably the vanquished weapons) and toss them into the bogs or marshes as an offering to their Celtic or Germanic or Slavic gods--Lurs were also found given as sacrifices into the bogs. These offerings were of great expense as items of metal such as swords and musical instruments were worth a great deal back then.
        This tidbit of history no doubt was an added benefit to those who had a romanticized vision of the past ....This would also have appeal for those serious about bringing back the old ways...gods included.

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for showing.You have done a great job on the sword and shield.I for sure would be interested in looking at the other part of the sword.

Etienne

Comment

I always thought that SS got their inspiration based on German Landskneht dagges that were used in late Middle Ages/early Renaissance times.

Comment

Hello!
              This film tell it all.

http://www.archive.org/details/SchwarzeSONNE

Regards.

Ladoga

Comment

Origins

I believe that the SS and SA daggers were inspired by an ancient SWISS dagger.

Comment

daggers

Yes, that is correct the swiss dagger is a bit larger than the sa and ss dagger.but take a look at the hardware ,such as the cloverleaf or nordic knot on a chained dagger , the ss rune is a viking rune or germanic tribal rune as well on police and ss sword hardware you have the nordic knot as well ,the designers of items have a lot of previking and viking as well as medevil period influence , i am not to fond of the medevil period influence myself ,but it is nice non the less. the prechristian or pagan era has much more artisitic appeal,the antipartisan badge ,of which himmler over saw the creation of incorporates a bronze age style dagger in the middle of the badge. and really for me it comes down to the ss and its use of tradtional nordic style , it has a very powerfull visuall appeal to it ,even to this day, it is a deep subject that can be digussed in length . but i am no expert , but i have an eye for its artistic appeal .thats an interesting film that was enjoyable to see as part of this thread as well as the info above .

Comment

book

for those of you interested there is a very nice chapter in robin lumsdens book the algemeine ss chapter 7the ss and history , i am sure you guys have a copy as it is a must for the true ss collector, check it out

Comment

Dutch SS

In honor of this thread I went through some of my stuff.
                      Here is a photo in an issue of a Dutch SS ideological magazine."Germaansche wapens uit het Alemannengraf van Gultingen" roughly means Germanic weapons of the aristocratic Alemanni(Germans)
                      Attached Files

Comment

non SS ideological magazine with very ancient sword
                        Attached Files

Comment

Dutch SS and non SS "Schulungsbrief" with same photos.

The text for the non SS photo reads most beautifully as "Die Wehr der Ahnen"

(The arms of the Ancestors)
                          Attached Files

Comment

SS Ahnenerbe magazine covers of ancient shields
                            Attached Files

Comment

And finally,
                              WHW tinnies of ancient weapons, etc.

these are my favorites.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X