Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swords and Shield

Originally posted by john mack View Post
    I thought since it is cold and winter and cant do too much out doors , i would post a pic of two swords ive reproduced from northern germany /southern denmark. These swords are a reflection of the nordic style of metal work on weapons and insignia , it is just a shot of the handles , if anyone has an interest i can post the whole sword for viewing, nordic metal work from the bronze and iron age is of some interest to me as it was to the ss ,, check out the shield ,look familiar? Enjoy!
    John,
    That is very impressive workmanship indeed!
    Peter Manzie

Comment

John

I would be very interested in seeing complete pictures of the Swords and the inside of the Shield. Thank you.

Comment

Swords

Thanks peter, and mike thats a great collection ,and superb reference.those swords and helmet in the mag you have are some i would aim to reproduce in the near future. Here are more pics of some germanic art .from the bronze age to migration period to viking era ,the styles of art were incorporated into and fused to and from germany and scandinavia .himmlers interest in archeological finds is another subject that i am not an expert on but it is obvious thrugh my readings he found his inspiration for art reference when creating certain things for the ss such as the much sought after ss ring with germanic runes and deaths head, sword and dagger knots the antipartisan badge just to name a few.one of his key men from my understanding was prof diebitsch this is a man i would like to find more reference on. It is his design that is the recognized ss proff mark on ss and police degens and allach porcelain and as is referenced in christopher ailsbys book on german medals,,,,some of diebitschs creations were the ss chained dagger and police sword as well as the ss long service awards,any info on him would be of great interest to some and myself .
        Attached Files

Comment

Belt

Here is germanic belt ive reproduced as well.
          Attached Files

Comment

Belt

Belt
            Attached Files

Comment

Dagger

What i find interesting is the combination of the deco style mixed with ancient design
              Attached Files

Comment

Design

Note the reference i believe was used for the chained dagger knot.it is from a nordic brooch .
                Attached Files

Comment

Blades

Blades
                  Attached Files

Comment

runics

Here's some Nordic inspiration , this book was printed in Germany in 1937, it details with pictures and charts the runics symbols and there meanings and locations of where they are found in Germany. it was printed by Nordland-Verlag.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sword

Details for those who wanted to see them
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sword details

More
                        Attached Files

Comment

Swords

The scabbard mounts shown here are made of bronze and i use the lost wax method of casting the hardware,there is a web site in the making ,these examples and more will be offerd for sale, i am not trying to use this thread to promote my items ,but a few members have asked. The sword on the right next to this example in the previous pics has an ash scabbard and the mid scabbard hardware is not complete so it is not seen on the wood as of yet.the bronze examples are my earlier work and are being made now in a solid bronze casting with better detail,these were just experiments.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Swords

Here is the accual sword in the national museum of denmark
                            Attached Files

Comment

Shield

Here is the use of the swastika in reverse in a villanovan iron age shield found in italy, ive not completed the rear handle and mounts for this example yet.and again the styles of art did intermingle with other influence through trade outside of germanic borders. This was common as is seen today with styles of cars for instance ,it was much the same way in the dark ages.but for the ss it all goes much deeper than just incorporating ancient style into there items , for the ss in particular it was to be a revival of the pagan ways into everday ss life,but with a modern and much more sinister approach .
                              Attached Files

Comment

Hello John,

this is quite interesting!

You are certainly on the right track by judging Diebitsch the most important designer within the SS, nonetheless there were others as well.
                                Diebitsch designed many stamps, the SS-uniforms, art work like porcelain, ceramic, tinted glas (windows with heraldic emblems and like Hoheitszeichen), drawings, oil paintings, furniture, medals, honor documents, wall tapestries, the whole interior of SS-barracks and other SS-buildings, iron work like candleholders (even flowerpots for Himmler´s wife in Gmund!), cards, jewelry...

It is fascinating to look at examples of his work - he was very talented and is THE key for the official SS-design and art section.

And it is true - there is hardly any reference material about him and his work.

Thanks for showing your fine craftmenship here!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X