No announcement yet.

2 SS field made camo caps for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corner piece recycled? Clearly a diagonal stitch line...(post 30 and post 32)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 12-29-2008, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Here's further proof that at least an original SS zelt was used, but when was it converted?
      Note more vibrant colors in the now exposed area...
      Old worn out zelt which was war time converted to a field cap, still showing a clear color difference
      (note more vibrant color) or post war converted and showing this color difference...

The wear is consistent of it being worn... note wear areas where the bill is attached to the cap...
      This area is always subjected to stress, especially when the cap was tucked under a belt or something...so clearly not artificial wear....
      but was it war time abused or just reenactor worn?
      We will never know with certainty... I say its a toss up 50/50 chance... but without provenance who knows?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NickG; 12-29-2008, 06:41 PM.

Comment

These camo caps were so popular that even the Wehrmacht used them, if they could obtain proper SS ones or otherwise had copies made
        (from old discarded SS Zelts). It definately was done a lot and a company "schneider" would make an extra buck (Reichsmark)!
        (image borrowed from the photo section)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NickG; 12-29-2008, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I quite like the first cap!

Comment

I only like the two posted originals that are reversible and SS issue.

A friend gave me a field made SS camo cap for free. Because there is no way to prove it's authenticity, he valued it at ZERO.

Bob Hritz
            In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
              I only like the two posted originals that are reversible and SS issue.

A friend gave me a field made SS camo cap for free. Because there is no way to prove it's authenticity, he valued it at ZERO.

Bob Hritz
              I know Bob.... these non standard caps are impossible to prove...and I am not trying to defend either cap,
              but over the years based on photographic proof, I have developed an open mind (or you may call it wishful thinking)
              in regards to odd stuff.

To illustrate my point: would this SS cap made of Italian camo material with TK worn by a Heer Panzer crew member
              (note civilian checkered shirt!) pass muster, if it surfaced at a gun show you may wonder? Note the other insignia...
              perhaps the traditions badge ("Sardinien shield") of the 90th Pz.Gr.Div...
              Even the tunic is a non standard (non HBT) protective wrapper! Not much standard here!!!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NickG; 12-30-2008, 01:05 AM.

Comment

I understand, Nick. how could you ever prove it without a period photo?

Here is the reversible camo cap given to me by Jim Pool. it goes well with my polizei camo uniform. There are two holes where a metal skull was once placed.

Bob Hritz
                Attached Files

Comment

Just my 2 cents... find a piece of zelth / smock without sign of previuos thread it's very easy.

imo it's impossible to be sure of this kind of items.
                  so... better choose another item if you aren't a millionaire

Comment

Yesterday I visited with the owner of a fantastic SS collection. He showed me an Italian camo M-43 cap with an applied aluminum skull, on the front. I did everything I could to trade that cap from him. Whether I can prove it is authentic, or not, that hat just spoke to me as authentic.

Therefore, I must amend my comment and hope that, in the future, I can post photos of the cap. It was remarkably similar to the first cap Nick posted, with the exception of the leather frontal sweat band. It showed age and wear and had that...como se dice?.... air of authenticity.

Bob Hritz

Comment

interesting

I like #1. But #2 is a bid strange. Double row of stitching on top of bill suggests good quality and yet it has no seam on crown. Also, stitching on repair areas appear to be same thread and age as rest of hat.

Comment

Here is an unusual camo cap with visor schirm inside. Anyone seen something like this in period pics.? Palmpattern camo, steel gromets and planetree camo in front. Cheers, norge
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

looks field replaced visor..or..?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Norge,

I like your cap and would have it in my collection.

Do you have photos of the inside?

Bob Hritz

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X