• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wear areas...
    Attached Files

Comment

which one?

So which one has a better chance? These field made caps are a mine field...
      Is the 2nd one made of shelterhalf material (reversable) and the first one made out of parka material perhaps?

Which cap has a better chance of being genuine?
      - First cap: the non reversable one with metal grommets and leather sweat band ?
      or
      - Second cap: the reversable one with stitched vent holes and very large visor?

or neither?

Comment

Im certainly no expert but both look pretty good to me.....

Comment

Hi,
          100% fake:
          Regards
          Patrick

Comment

Both caps looks to be made of original cloth, both have different construction and none of them textbook construction. These caps can be original period fieldmade by a company tailor - or made lastyear in Latvia. Solid provenance is the key factor.

Best regards, Tom

Comment

If I were to choose, I'd go for nr 1 and leave nr 2 out.
              Material is OK but WHEN were they made , that's the question.
              And from a construction perspective 1 has more positive indications than 2.

Just my thought

pw
              Interested in all E. Reitz Uniformwerke items.

Comment

As stated above, provenance is EVERYTHING on these kind of caps. You'd have to get it directly from the veteran who wore it and have pictures of him wearing it during the war and then I'd still be 50% skeptical. Factory-made pieces followed a process and style and consistency... fieldmade are almost one-of-a-kind so it is impossible to tell.

Bob

Comment

Hats

Yes, they could both be fake, but think of the Fortune you will save not buying a more textbook real one. When you could pay half that and have half a chance they are real. Like my logic? I didn't think so, but this is how many People think. "My Hat might be fake, but I only paid half what a real one cost, so I saved right?" No, the Faker profited.

Comment

I agree these company tailor field made caps are tricky. The non reversible one (cap 1, with the leather sweatband)
                    is a UK dealer offer with an asking price of $3,030 ! Too risky of an investment!
                    For that kind of money (out of my league) I would look for a text book reversable one if I could afford it!

The reversable one (cap 2, with the large visor) originates from Holland and is coming my way in a trade,
                    which was worth the risk for me as the trade included multiple items, this being the only "iffy" piece...
                    I'll try to obtain some history on it. Good news that at least the shelterhalf (zeltbahn) material is real,
                    so that's half the battle won already in my view!

What's the best scenario when authenticating such custom made camo caps?
                    a cap with no vent holes? or a cap with metal grommets? (cap 1) or a cap with stitched vent holes? (cap 2)

Thanks for the opinions guys!

Comment

i think the best way is to find a textbook cap so you can sleep well in future
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by besslein; 12-28-2008, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                        I agree these company tailor field made caps are tricky. The non reversible one (cap 1, with the leather sweatband)
                        is a UK dealer offer with an asking price of $3,030 ! Too risky of an investment!
                        For that kind of money (out of my league) I would look for a text book reversable one if I could afford it!

The reversable one (cap 2, with the large visor) originates from Holland and is coming my way in a trade,
                        which was worth the risk for me as the trade included multiple items, this being the only "iffy" piece...
                        I'll try to obtain some history on it. Good news that at least the shelterhalf (zeltbahn) material is real,
                        so that's half the battle won already in my view!

What's the best scenario when authenticating such custom made camo caps?
                        a cap with no vent holes? or a cap with metal grommets? (cap 1) or a cap with stitched vent holes? (cap 2)

Thanks for the opinions guys!
                        Nick, interesting question. Fieldmade stuff is tricky without provenance but to answer the question about grommets, I would feel stitched vent holes would be better received. IMO a company tailor would know about ventilation and the metal rivets would be about impossible to locate in the field unless he had another cap to steal from. My two cents. I agree with besselin that a textbook cap is best way to go but wanted to answer your question. Hope it helped! Mike.

Comment

Early caps didnt have ventholes and later caps have both sewn and with metal grommets. There is no way to authenticate fieldmade caps exept solid provenance. Without provenance, the cap can be interresting but the value would IMO bee around 10% of a textbook cap.

Best regards, Tom

Comment

Arek, your cap is beautiful. Here ar one of my early Platanenmuster # 1.

Best regards, Tom
                            Attached Files

Comment

Field made cap example number 2 with large visor and single piece crown is definately made of recycled period SS zeltbahn...
                              Note the stitch line. So its definately a cut up SS zeltbahn... Is that a good or a bad sign (red flag)?
                              Would a company tailor be bothered with that? or thrifty enough to use such a piece of cloth regardless?
                              (so period? or indicative of a recent conversion?)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Nick to be honest ,your cap look not period made,just my opinion,and not only abaut construction,thread and sewing method look modern

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X