im assuming this fez is bad but???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coloradocowboy View Post
    how much is a fez worth in this condition? is it worth me trying to purchase it?
    thanks,
    chris

You would be better off just purchasing a fez with insignia still intact. You can find a maroon fez for between $900-1200 (way cheaper if youre lucky) Any restoration on a fez isnt going to look right unless its done from unissued insignia (which more costly than the fez) This was a stripped fez humped up to try & decieve someone.....Stay away.....

Comment

I not understand how one can tell the Fez is an original based on the photos shown here? They probably have made hundreds of thousands of these for civilian wear and for tourists from the late 19th to the mid 20th Century in the same fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by jhodgson View Post
        I not understand how one can tell the Fez is an original based on the photos shown here? They probably have made hundreds of thousands of these for civilian wear and for tourists from the late 19th to the mid 20th Century in the same fashion.
        Show us one which looks like this.

Comment

Originally posted by bwanek1 View Post
          Show us one which looks like this.
          Show me a documented original example in your collection that looks like this one. IMO this could be a 1950s Zor Shriner fez.

Comment

Here is another example without the reinforced headband, there is no one type, these are probably the most faked piece of SS headgear. Most I have seen are only older Fezs from the 30s with insignia added.

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=5447

Comment

Show me a documented original example in your collection that looks like this one. IMO this could be a 1950s Zor Shriner fez.
              Those of us who know and study these items can easily recognize it for what it is. You are the one making the claim that it resembles something else...prove it!

Comment

Here is another example without the reinforced headband, there is no one type, these are probably the most faked piece of SS headgear. Most I have seen are only older Fezs from the 30s with insignia added.

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=5447
                It is only in the last couple years that the value of a fez with insignia has grown above the value of the insignia by themselves. Why on earth would anyone, as you claim, go to the trouble and expense of putting original insignia on a bogus fez to create something which adds essentially no value?! Absurd.

Comment

It is only in the last couple years that the value of a fez with insignia has grown above the value of the insignia by themselves. Why on earth would anyone, as you claim, go to the trouble and expense of putting original insignia on a bogus fez to create something which adds essentially no value?! Absurd.
                  30 years ago the insignia was worth much less loose than it would be on a "real" Fez. There are all kinds of "real" Fezs put together after the War which now are the "originals" used to judge others. I remember seeing them in the 70's and remember people making them. I am sure other collectors who were active then remember that as well. Given where these were used and what happened afterthe War how many real examples would you think exist compared to the amount that are out there. These were heavily faked.

Comment

30 years ago the insignia was worth much less loose than it would be on a "real" Fez. There are all kinds of "real" Fezs put together after the War which now are the "originals" used to judge others. I remember seeing them in the 70's and remember people making them. I am sure other collectors who were active then remember that as well. Given where these were used and what happened afterthe War how many real examples would you think exist compared to the amount that are out there. These were heavily faked.
                    You are not an SS collector are you? (rhetorical)

Fezzes were produced in much larger numbers than were actually required due to unrealistic expectations for the number of Muslim volunteers. As a result, MANY came back with veterans who liberated them from the large unissued stocks found at storage facilities like the depot at Dachau.

I remember the 70's and the 80's when it was hard to give a fez away. We find plenty of original fezzes stripped of their original insignia, because the insignia are--at least used to be until recently--worth more by themselves or to restore a service cap than the value of the complete fez.

Comment

You are not an SS collector are you? (rhetorical)

Fezzes were produced in much larger numbers than were actually required due to unrealistic expectations for the number of Muslim volunteers. As a result, MANY came back with veterans who liberated them from the large unissued stocks found at storage facilities like the depot at Dachau.

I remember the 70's and the 80's when it was hard to give a fez away. We find plenty of original fezzes stripped of their original insignia, because the insignia are--at least used to be until recently--worth more by themselves or to restore a service cap than the value of the complete fez.
                      Thanks, I actually collect the 1:35 scale action dolls and know nothing, I defer to your expertise and memory.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X