• Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Visor Cap

And another
    Attached Files

Comment

SS Officer Visor cap

Thanks KD. Actually as I looked at different caps on different dealer sites for reference today, I did notice a couple where the lower material was different than the upper. You can't really tell on most of the pictures due to the chin cord blocking the lower portion, but I did find a few. And yes if you look closely at my pic of the interior of the hat you can see faint marks of the Erel logo on the sweat shield. I assumed this was a faded mark on the shield, not a mark on the material below.

John

Comment

John, this is purely a theory but I think that these 'types' are very early reproductions made by the firm 'Berliner-Mutzenfabrik' and as in the later repos used a mix of left over 'findings' to include Erel liners. As these golden silk liners ran out they began to use a grey cheesecloth/cotton lining....the quality was great and many now sit in collections as "REAL"!!
        You will agree that I have never looked at or held your cap so I wasn't just 'barking'. These have been around for years and years mostly in 'tricot' and with unusually thick upper piping.
        Some have argued that they are Lubstein made caps....ofcourse these were the persons selling them!
        KD

Just found this one at ( ) Manion's!!!!

It's a ringer for yours except it uses an 'Original Schellenberg' lining...which ofcourse is real but the cap built around it isn't!!
        Last edited by Kurt D.; 08-11-2003, 08:23 PM.
        Regards,
        Dave

Comment

I agree...

...that there is plenty not right with this cap. The badges are certainly
          repros. While it may indeed be a parts cap I not only don't mind seeing
          the different types of cloth on the top and bottom, I like it, and have
          had several original caps like that over the years. I don't see anything wrong with the visor, top or bottom. The cords look a little too glitzy,
          but that may just be the flash.

Inside, I agree with Kurt that this doesn't look like any Erel cap I've
          seen. It seems like every other fake these days is an Erel knockoff.
          This is probably a good thing as Erels always bear at least two or three
          distinctive features which I have yet to see in the fakes.

While a loose or sloppily fitting band may not be a red flag in a very
          worn cap, I agree that it may be an indicator of some foul play in this
          one.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X