SS Visor Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Visor Cap

Another potential buy. What do you think guys?

John
    Attached Files

SS Visor Cap

pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

SS Visor Cap

pic 3
      Attached Files

Comment

SS Visor Cap

pic 4
        Attached Files

Comment

SS Visor Cap

pic 5
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi John,
            I don't know anything about caps but the insignia are reproductions of a wartime Deschler set. If you will E-mail me at: FleetMac11@aol.com
            I will send you a picture of a real wartime, (silvered zinc), Deschler set so that you can see the difference and compare them.
            Thanks! Chris

Comment

visor

The cap in question is something to run away from. The insignia are poor cast fakes. The TK should be higher in the cap band too. The cap itself is completely scary. The top of the cap is made from Trikot (twill weave) wool. Notice the pattern in the wool. The bottom of the cap, below the band, is made from a felted wool (different color too). The visor underside is incorrectly dark brown. The interior sweat diamond is unmarked, which is also a red flag. I also do not like the white piping material around the velvet band. The velvet band is also improperly attached to the cap. Notice the wrinkles and loose sides. It does not fit the cap correctly. Finally the chin cord does not fit correctly.
              This cap is a really poorly put-together fake. If you were considering buying such a cap, I highly suggest you first consider buying a few reference books, so you have some knowledge of what you are buying. You would be lucky to find an original officer's visor for under $4000.00 in the current market. This cap is completely wrong- stay away!

Comment

SS Officer Visor

Thanks for the comments guys. I had noticed the casting marks around the eagles head and that made me wonder. I did not notice the different material on the top versus the bottom of the cap. That is the perfect example of what a trained eye can do. I recently purchased Gary Wilkins book on 3rd Reich cloth caps but nothing can beat the experience your guys have over me.

Thanks again.

John

Comment

SS Officer Visor cap

I just noticed on my first picture that the grain of the weave on the Trikot wool is not flowing in a consistent direction. The weave on the left side of the seam is almost vertical and the weave on the right side of the seam is more diagonal. Is this a tell-tale sign that I should watch out for on future caps? Should this be more consistant or is this not even an issue?

Thanks
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNK
                    I just noticed on my first picture that the grain of the weave on the Trikot wool is not flowing in a consistent direction. The weave on the left side of the seam is almost vertical and the weave on the right side of the seam is more diagonal. Is this a tell-tale sign that I should watch out for on future caps? Should this be more consistant or is this not even an issue?

Thanks
                    John
                    In the past, I have been led to believe that this is actually a desireable feature!

Paul

Comment

direction on weave

Originally posted by Paul McKee
                      In the past, I have been led to believe that this is actually a desireable feature!

Paul
                      This is a desirable feature most certainly in original German visors from various branches. However finding this construction technique in this cap does not help it.
                      John, if you look at some of the caps pictured in the Wilkin's book you will find this technique illustrated in the Trikot covered visors. Obviously doeskin wool has no such pattern.
                      This cap was probably assembled from two seperate original Heer caps (hence doeskin bottom with Trikot top), and then assembled with a reproduction black velvet SS band. That is why the velvet band fits so poorly. Original bands fit perfectly snug. You also need to watch for rebanded caps. This is when they simply sew a black velvet cap band over the green Heer band. Usually visible from profile shot of the cap.
                      ReichHeini

Comment

Originally posted by ReichsHeini
                        ...Obviously doeskin wool has no such pattern.
                        I suspect the orientation of the fabric weave is the same in doeskin caps, but just not visible because of the smooth texture of doeskin.

Originally posted by ReichsHeini
                        This cap was probably assembled from two seperate original Heer caps (hence doeskin bottom with Trikot top), and then assembled with a reproduction black velvet SS band.
                        Thus why this is considered a "Frankenstein" cap.

Paul

Comment

Erel!

If you get the cap in the right light you will see an "Erel" trademark on the silk under the diamond!
                          I have never liked caps with this feature and as to the different material at the base of the cap...this was a common manufacturing technique in the '35-early war time caps.
                          I'd pass on this just because of the obliterated mark of erel on the silk and the other factors cited!
                          KD
                          Regards,
                          Dave

Comment

SS Visor Cap

Here is a pic of an original SS Visor cap insignia supplied by Chris (SScollector). Thanks Chris!

John
                            Attached Files

Comment

SS Visor

Here's a closer shot.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X