SS Ribbon Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Ribbon Bar

What're thoughts on this SS ribbon bar....?
    Attached Files
    "We all have it coming, Kid" ("Unforgiven")

well, I see one glaring error-have you looked at the ribbon bar article?

Comment

Hello,

Is the one to the right of the SS ribbon suppose to be for the Blood Order? I know on the opposite side is the Eastern Front Medal.

Best,

James

Comment

No, the ribbon is for the Austrian Annexation.

Bob Hritz
        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

These have been faked for years, I dont like the runes on this one and I dont like seeing an Italian/German Afrika medal on it either.Did he fight in Afrika and Russia while a member of the SS at the same time as the heer.... He couldve gotten around but I dont think so.

Comment

I no longer collect the ribbon bars that are made of sheet brass with soldered catches. I only trust those that are factory made. The brass backed types have been faked for decades and are still being produced, even as I type this response.

Bob Hritz
            In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
              These have been faked for years, I dont like the runes on this one and I dont like seeing an Italian/German Afrika medal on it either.Did he fight in Afrika and Russia while a member of the SS at the same time as the heer.... He couldve gotten around but I dont think so.
              Its not Afrika ribbon if I remember correctly, but a Memel medal one.
              Not sure about the bar itself
              Cheers
              Matt

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                Thats not an Italian/German Afrika medal, I think its a Memel. Need to double check on the Memel though.

EDIT Sorry didn't realize someone answered you already

Comment

I think the ends of the catches are always cut by hand on the brass fakes Bob refers to.
                  Well they were twenty years ago.

Comment

Money

The breaker on the whole bar is the SS Runes. If they were real nothing else would matter. And they are not. There may be only 5 or 6 of these runes known.

Comment

Youre right by golly! He was in all three flower power wars.

I have only seen one original SS ribbon bar. I think it was posted on the WAF someplace.

Comment

There's real SS bars in the ribbon bars article in the association area, but also if you do a search you'll see a couple.

Comment

That catch is enough to condemn the bar. You don't even need to flip it over to look at the front.

Comment

Thanks for the helpful comments

Thanks for the helpful comments and tips...I also read and re-read the ribbonbar article on the Forum, and I'll pass on this guy for sure...

The SS runes are scarcer than scarce, and I was curious when I saw this long bar for sale. The only other bar I know of for sale is Peter's:

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Waffe...s/S025956.html
                            "We all have it coming, Kid" ("Unforgiven")

Comment

Peter's last sentence is incorrect: the four and eight year SS service medals also had small devices for the ribbon bar. The silver medal (with the silver runes on the ribbon) are very scarce; not too many of them awarded. And you will NEVER find gold runes on a blue ribbon since the 25-Year SS Long Service Medal was NEVER awarded. Only enlisted men were awarded the 4-Year SS Long Service Medal and unlike the other services, only ONE SS long service medal (and ribbon) were worn. A recipient could wear a second long service ribbon (from military, labor, police, etc.) but only ONE SS medal. For a man to have been awarded the 12-Year SS Long Service Medal I would think he'd have more ribbons than just an EK2 and WMC 2nd Class with Swords. He would more than likely be a WWI veteran. Just some thoughts...

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X