No announcement yet.

18000 for a restored tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insane price, IMO....but I'm pleased to now that I'm getting richer and richer eveyday

Just kidding: I don't see the hobby as an investment...

Comment

Another good point..man just talking to people at the show you could hear how the hobby has turned into a "how much can I get for this" game. When you buy something thinking "can I sell this again down the line and make something on it or get what I paid " and thats all you worry about then this hobby is not for you. Buy something because you want it and love to learn about it if it gains in value over time great if it depreciates then at least you have something you love and can enjoy looking at but seeing it as money will turn you into a paranoid unhappy collector who gets little enjoyment from the item and is just biding time on selling.

Comment

Pure fantasy price, IMO

Comment

...... a fantasy price as well.

Originally posted by Hasse.M View Post
          Pure fantasy price, IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
            John, I don't know why people restore waffen ss tunics. They are what they are and should be accepted for that. I was lucky enough to pick up one of the ss panzer wraps at the max that was from the depot (unissued) with only the ss eagle sewn on it and am quite happy. Honestly it isn't even the ss tunic I really want but when a real piece comes your way you take it. Sonny
            Sonny,

If you have an UNISSUED black panzer jacket with the sleeve eagle, then that is complete the way it is. Anything you put on it is an ADDITION because insignia was NEVER on it. However, if like John said, you pick up a tunic that had insignia on it, or it's all complete except a cuffband, which you can clearly see was on there at one time, then restoring a cuffband is acceptable, especially if you can correctly determine what cuffband was on it originally.

And I agree with the folks here that the uniform that Craig has is way over priced for what it is. That price is up there where untouched pieces sell for.

Bob

Comment

I can not say I like the way how the nametag is sewn on.

And I definatly don´t like how the name is written on the tag, looks like a five year old wrote it. What is the problem with that T looks like a cross. Honestly Germans did not write like that in 1944 IMO.

I can also not say I like those slip on Pz shoulderboards to much eather.

May very well be a original ensemble with insignias reattached but with the quality of the insignias 18.000 US $ is not only a totally INSANE price, over here it would be close to criminal IMO.

Lasse

Comment

John, it doesnt touch you Thule tunic at all. Now THAT was a thing of beauty!

Comment

It sure was...but despite its correctness it got torn to shreds by the big shots. One quoted a very respected SS collector as saying these shoulder boards were fake..untrue. I think a forum member still owns it. The Thule regiment was known for wearing the runic tab as is evidenced in photos and the tunic belonged to a technical motor school officer who was in Vienna where the uniform was made.
                  Last edited by John Pic; 12-23-2007, 04:05 PM.

Comment

as all ways well said john must be nice looking over all that lasse kongo my thoughts exactly about the tag but i have learned to be open minded with things like that

Comment

there was nothing wrong with those boards o yes there was one thing wrong with it .it was not mine

Comment

The fake boards. What I think happened with this tunic was that a few higher end sellers liked it and tossed the idea of buying it around,but the price was too high for them at the time and any SS tunic is at best a risky gamble. I forked out the money and had it awhile when I sold it to a younger collector a very nice impressionable young man. He returned it to me on the good authority that it was post war put together with a list of those who said it was...all of whom I have met or heard of.It sold right away again after its return into an extensive SS colllection.
                        Last edited by John Pic; 12-23-2007, 04:05 PM.

Comment

this boards are fine originals

Comment

Hi John, great seeing you guys at the show and getting to 'play' with all those most excellent(IMO) SS tunics, not to mention that head gear collection that was there for private perusal. That Thule tunic was in my hot little hands for a short while but, I couldn't afford to keep it. I love those shoulderboards. I am now very happy that the deal to trade my flatwire eagle tunic for that oakleaf smock fell through.

Comment

Hi John, great seeing you guys at the show and getting to 'play' with all those most excellent(IMO) SS tunics, not to mention that head gear collection that was there for private perusal. That Thule tunic was in my hot little hands for a short while but, I couldn't afford to keep it. I love those shoulderboards. I am now very happy that the deal to trade my flatwire eagle tunic for that oakleaf smock fell through.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                                The fake boards. What I think happened with this tunic was that a few higher end sellers liked it and tossed the idea of buying it around,but the price was too high for them at the time and any SS tunic is at best a risky gamble. I forked out the money and had it awhile when I sold it to a younger collector a very nice impressionable young man. He returned it to me on the good authority that it was post war put together with a list of those who said it was...all of whom I have met or heard of.It sold right away again after its return into an extensive SS colllection.
                                Nice looking boards. Was there a thread on this one? I must've missed it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X