18000 for a restored tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18000 for a restored tunic

looks like a new mark has been set for a restored ss tunic looks very nice but a shame no name in the tunic just the paints .its on graig gottleibs site some how i do not think insignia is worth that on its own but hay who knows this day

Well at least he is honest about it. It is documented as well which is quite rare. Some one will buy it.

Comment

didn't say aver wise. but man a lot i would think a tunic like that you might find his name in that not just the paints

Comment

Not necessarily. Every time I handle a few Ss tunics at one time that I know are good the differences in the tailoring jobs,materials and details are always telling me something new. Trousers are easier to loose in the laundry than a tunic,everyone knows what rank they are and what awards they have etc.I do get to look at a few too...I saw Craig walking around there but didnt get a chance to talk to him much.You know people have bought SS tunics from other dealers, including myself with no provenance whatsoever for very high prices and found once they are inspected that there is a 99% possibility they were post war thrown together reworked heer tunics. Very dissapointing especially from dealers you want to think know something and have your trust.Craig never tries to be a tunic expert and he manages to do quite well in his selections just the same.His prices are too high for me personally but believe me someone out there will want it and buy it..a named Wiking division tunic and pants at least people will know exactly what they are buying.I applaud his honesty about it.Heres some I had fun checking out.
        Last edited by John Pic; 12-23-2007, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Last edited by John Pic; 12-23-2007, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I know that cavalry tunic.

Comment

I became well aquainted with it myself Jacques.
              The Artillery one also is one of the finest examples Ive ever seen with an even age patina over it that just sings...the lucky owner is well aware what he has too...and that stug wrapper UNBELIEVABLE.. an original vet find with the EK still attached and in the same condition as the tunic.
              Last edited by John Pic; 11-12-2007, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Did you win the lotto?

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                I became well aquainted with it myself Jacques.
                The Artillery one also is one of the finest examples Ive ever seen with an even age patina over it that just sings...the lucky owner is well aware what he has too...and that stug wrapper UNBELIEVABLE.. an original vet find with the EK still attached and in the same condition as the tunic.

Comment

No unfortunately I didnt, but looking at it all and examining it for as long as I liked was great fun.

Comment

If this was a vet bring back, why did they remove the insignia? To piece it out for more money?

Comment

It sounds as though it was found that way originally.Remember alot of SS officers stripped thier own tunics prior to capture.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                        It sounds as though it was found that way originally.Remember alot of SS officers stripped thier own tunics prior to capture.
                        Very true!

Comment

John, I don't know why people restore waffen ss tunics. They are what they are and should be accepted for that. I was lucky enough to pick up one of the ss panzer wraps at the max that was from the depot (unissued) with only the ss eagle sewn on it and am quite happy. Honestly it isn't even the ss tunic I really want but when a real piece comes your way you take it. Sonny

Comment

Holy Christ. If this is what a restored W-SS tunic is going for these days, I can safely say that I will never own one. It has been a dream of mine since I started collecting to one day add an original W-SS tunic to my SS collection, but with these prices I can't possibly see how that will ever happen. 20K is way beyond what I could ever afford.

I don't even want to know what the few completely original and untouched tunics trade hands at. 30,000K and up???

It truly is a rich man's hobby... Must be nice.

Rob

Comment

Rob, Craigs prices reflect his association and friendship with Steve Wolfe. They can ask anything they want and usually get it. They have the kind of clientelle willing to fork it out. But not every SS tunic even untouched ones sell for that much nor does everyone ask that much.But for a good one you will pay up around $10,000 mark nowadays..OUCH...! So his price does not reflect an accurate market value for a restored SS tunic.Also let me add that not all the lower rank officer/NCO tunics that get fanfare recognition are what they are said to be many were restored-made up, and no one tells.The only reason they get so much fanfare is who owns them,who bought them,who sold them..or a vet story can be attached, not for what they are ..I hate to point it out again but the Panzer Wrapper thread reveals this trend in collecting so well.

Sonny,restoration has always been a part of historical collecting,a large percentage of the paint on Leonardo DaVinci's Mona Lisa is restoration work. If you find Peiper's black wrapper stripped and have the correct insigias to restore it to its former glory thats great..but if you find Hauptman Frankensteins tunic and turn it into Hauptsturmfuhrer Frankensteins tunic thats not good.
                              Last edited by John Pic; 11-12-2007, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X