S S Armband Without Black Litze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob,
    The overcoat theory was apparently based on a simple typographic error on Jack Pia's book on SS regalia. Someone, somewhere posted a thread showing how the captions to the pictures on a spread in the book had been juxtaposed and the attribution crept into the collecting world.
    The cotton armband you post is interesting in that I had always presumed these to be for the early brown shirt. What it is doing floating around after 1940 is anyone's guess.
    All the examples I have seen had the paper labels and I had always thought, perhaps erroneously, that they had been badged up after the war to add a couple of bucks to the value. Both armbands and SS paper tags used to be relatively commmon. I remember several rolls of paper RZM tags at the Islington market decades ago. I'm sure they are now stuck on any number of items, real and repro.
    If they are right then we are seeing an armband from 1936 and one from 1940 or later, so they were used over a period of time. But, barely anyone was wearing an armband after 1940. Perhaps they were for civilian or non-members of the SS employed in the organisation.
    I'm not sure I'll ever be convinced of their authenticity. I have not seen a single photo of them in use and believe me I've pored over thousands of pictures. But, usually as soon as you say that a picture pops up out of nowhere.
    Derek

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=132689

Comment

Gary-
        I Remember The Thread From Several Years Ago. That Is One Of The Reasons I Posted My Kampfbinde. I Feel We Still Do Not Know What The Purpose Of These Were. The Wool Armbands I Have Encountered Over The Years With The Paper Tags Were All Unissued. Possibly All Out Of The Same Unissued Lot. However, The Wool Pattern I Posted Was Definitely Worn. The Same For The Cotton Ink Stamped One. The 1936 Dated Piece Is Made From The Highest Quality Wool. Maybe, We Will Have A Positive Answer On This Issue Some Day.
        Derek Thank You For Your Informed Input On This Subject.

Comment

I have them direct from veterans with both cloth and paper lables as well. I don't doubt them, I just don't know what they would be for. They were always very nice quality ones. Maybe SS FM members. Also interesting, all the ones I have seen always have a "D" level RZM label.

On a side note, have any photos of the SA sport armband turned up showing that in wear? Have we figured out what that is for?
          http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X