Italian made Private Purchase SS Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian made Private Purchase SS Tunic

I thought I would show you an interesting tunic I recently acquired via a trade. I was lucky enough to contact the original owner of this tunic, Bob Hritz, who had it for decades. He believed it to be an Italian made Private Purchase EM SS tunic, made in slate gray Italian material. It is modeled after an m40/41. It has some very interesting features as one can tell from the photos. There are leather reinforcement tabs, and a reinforced area for the rear belt-ramp holes but no actual holes. (Also front support tabs are non-existent). The tailor clearly made the tunic modeling it after an M40/41, down to the bandage pocket, zig-zag stitching under the collar, and the angled cuff placket. The main differences are the leather reinforcement tabs, and the jacket being fully lined. Originally it had sew-in boards.<O></O>
    I am in the process of attempting to restore it. I think that a Reichsfuhrer-SS cufftitle would be appropriate, if I put one on, because of the time the 16<SUP>th</SUP> SS Division spent in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1Italy. I </st1:country-region>Hope you like this interesting piece.<O</O
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

6a
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I love the Tunic especially the Italian Wool. If it were mine a simple sleeve eagle and EM boards. A late war recruit from Northern Italy. I know the cut says earlier but the wool says to me post 43.

Comment

The Charlemagne Division, during the formation, received a lot of italian wool made uniforms for new recruits, If it can help.
                          The vets from the sturmbrigade didn't like these at all and trade them strongly to the new recruits againts "classic" german made uniforms.

About your restoration project, is there any trace of a CT?
                          Last edited by Fred S; 05-09-2007, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks Dennis and Fred for your comments. yes the wool does speak to me also. I like the interesting characteristics of this piece. I am still trying to find the right insignia to match this piece. Any suggestions woud be of help. As of now I have some late war dachau type tabs, but if there is something more "Italian" let me know. I would like to use insignia that would have been used at the time to make it as authentic as possible. Should be a fun little project. If anyone knows of any sew in EM boards, or other appropriate insignia let me know.
                            I did not know that about the Charlemagne, that is very interesting. And to answer your question on the Cufftitle, No, I can not see any sign of one being there, that is why I am not sure if there should be one when I restore it. I am hedging towards not, but still would like to get a RFSS, since they were in Italy for a duration.
                            Thanks,
                            Jerry

Comment

this is very stange tunic,and I think it is not W-SS,it can be,how all gas mask carnisters if you find one without unit marking,for me its look like privat made tunic
                              and from italian cloth are made wh uniforms to.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X