SS Blurred Edge Cover on E-Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Blurred Edge Cover on E-Stand

This helmet cover came from a very respected dealer and I have always believed it to be a one-look original example. Hoever, I am by no means an expert, and I am always learning. If I am wrong on this, it wouldn't be the first time. Emilio has commented that this should be posted for discussion:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=202232

I believe this can be returned to the dealer if in fact it has issues. I would appreciate any comments or opinions on this cover. Thanks in advance.

rear clip- spring side
    Attached Files

Comment

Rear Clip- fall side
      Attached Files

Comment

Chris,the cover looks original and the clips also but IMO they are ground-dug and put on the cover post-war.The condition of the cover and the clips look different to me.I hope I'm wrong

Best
        Emilio

Comment

Hello Chris,
          I think that Emilio's concerns are regarding some period clips that were recently found by diggers and used for a "cover". Still I think it's hard to tell from those pictures, IMO the cover still holds a chance as anodization (blackening) was rather weak from time to time.

-May I ask you to post pictures of all three clips and from each side?

-Do the rivets match the wear/use/ageing of the clips? (hard to tell from these pictures as well)

Thanks!!

Fritz

Comment

Originally posted by Panzergrenadiere71 View Post
            Chris,the cover looks original and the clips also but IMO they are ground-dug and put on the cover post-war.The condition of the cover and the clips look different to me.I hope I'm wrong

Best
            Emilio

Sorry....you posted while I was typing...

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

Hi Friends!
              The Cover is Original IMO, Only the clips are the BLANK CLIPS, often saw in the War time pictures and in some original exemples.
              Nice piece, few used.
              By lorenz

Comment

Sorry but I'm still convinced they are ground-dug.Here are the pics of another one from battlefield.They have the same look IMO

Best
                Emilio

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Emilio,
                      IMO the only similar look between the clip of the cover and your ground dug clip is the Aluminium color, Blank, without anodization. If you examine with attention you can see that your clips ground-dug have a different shape, the anodization gone with the corrosion of the aluminium under ground.
                      In the clips of the BE cover the aluminium dont have traces of corrosion and isnt any traces of anodization in all clip, only like I can see on the detailed pictures posted some little wear and dirty.
                      IMO the little damages for corrosion are different from the little damages for the wear, Are different and in different points..
                      Naturally this is only my Opinion.
                      BY Lorenz
                      Last edited by Lorenz; 02-04-2007, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much for the input so far. Here are better photos of the left and right side clips. As you can see, there is no trace of any anodized coating. The clips are in good condition with only slight wear and dirt. I don't see any of the pitting, corrosion or surface damage like in the ground-dug clip. The rivets match the clips and do not appear tampered with. In hand, I can't imagine that these clips were ever on any other cover.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The other side of the left side clip
                          Attached Files

Comment

Right clip
                            Attached Files

Comment

Last clip photo. I do not believe the clips are ground dug but I am always open to other opinions, I am here to learn. Any comments appreciated!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X