No announcement yet.

Check out SS eagles in this thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how this fits into this thread as such but it's just a thought on the differeing style of eagles and other SS insignia. First of all I'd better say that what I know about insignia and if it's genuine or not can probably be written on the back of a postage stamp - basically bugger all really - and it's from reading bits and pieces on this and other forums that I guess I hope to pick some knowledge up...more for interest than anything else as I'm not really intending to actively go and buy SS insignia as the amount of fake stuff out there is scary and due to the amounts of money involved it's not worth the risk for me - in the past I've ended up buying 3 SS sleeve eagles and fortunately 2 turned out to be genuine and one dodgy one (coke bottle one - bought before the days of the internet so I had no knowledge of them...) so that's enough for me.

Anyhow, back what I was going to say, as someone who doesn't know that much about SS insignia and stuff I tend to go by what has been said one here as to how to spot genuine ones etc etc and you kinda find a pattern emerging that there are so many types are genuine - but maybe not that many - there is a limited amount of genuine styles and a shed load of fakes, repro's or whatever else you want to call them - not sure that came out right but basically what I was trying to say was that there seems to be a limited number of genuine styles and everything else is crap...I think? Which to me seemed fair enough....
    However something struck me t'other night...I happened to be a bit bored and grabbed a book to peruse..it happened to be Robins book - 'SS Regalia' - and whilst leafing thru' it I came across this bit (on page 124 if anyone happens to have it handy) and it says that after Sept 1944 pressures dictated that the RZM terminated its involvement in the supply of SS insignia etc and it then basically became a free for all for the stuff to be made and supplied and Robin says that at that time 24 firms were involved in the manufacture and supply of the cloth insignia for the SS.
    That's 24 firms which - in theory - could mean 24 differing types of insignia? I'm not sure out of that 24 who made eagles, might of been all or it might of only been a couple of them and whilst maybe the insignia may of been similar it would of been made on different machines and so there could of been little variations in each type, plus you have the pre Sept 1944 RZM contract eagles and that leaves a hell of a lot of possible variations? Potential minefield? How many variations have been seen and noted, how many genuine ones have been dismissed as fakes - if we have fakes being touted around as genuine then I guess it could work the other way?
    How many genuine types of eagles or there out there? I guess the same could apply to skulls if the 24 firms had a go at them too?
    Gawd - it's scary stuff!

Sorry for rambling on - writing wasn't my best skill and what I can say in a few words ends up as a bloody novel - which usually don't make much sense when I try to write it down!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden View Post
      The bottom embroidered sleeve eagle in post #100 in that thread is a repro......no doubt about it.

These things were openly sold by Nick Morigi & Co. in the 1980s and 1990s as copies.

It's only in the last couple of years or so that they have become accepted as 'originals'.

You need a long memory in this game.
      Robin,

If this is the eagle you are referring to it is a good one. Excuse the poor photo, I snapped it in a hurry. This is the exact one I kept from the Dachau vet haul of cufftitles I got I while back. I have a picture of it with the other stuff which I will post again.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here it is as brought home with the rest of the Dachau stuff.
        Attached Files

Comment

Beaver shows an eagle like mine on p 411 of the 2 Volume and I don't think it's a fake. It's on an m44 jacket and he calls it a type introduced in 1944 which ties in well with a Dachau find. I suspect they are just crappy late war specimens . There is a lot of deciding going on about these (based on the fact they are ugly pretty much ) before evidence has been produced.
          Reference books of the 70s are not to be relied upon heavily. There is much more known about this material today. At that time EM sleeve eagles were only a few dollars and not an item worthy of much serious study.
          Last edited by nutmeg; 01-29-2007, 02:37 PM.

Comment

The one shown by nutmeg is even inferior to the ones on Gailens site,but I will take his word it came from a Vet hoard.Much of the Dachau insignias are inferior in quality to earlier war items.
            It makes me think about alot of the older metal cap devices labeled as fake today,is possible early dealers sold these things a dime a dozen in 70s thus they earned a bad rep.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
              ...It makes me think about alot of the older metal cap devices labeled as fake today,is possible early dealers sold these things a dime a dozen in 70s thus they earned a bad rep.
              Such could easily have ended up being the case with these buttons:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=190527

Today we could be hearing, "those plain-backed buttons are fakes; I rember those being sold in catalogs for under $10 back in the 70's."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X