Check out SS eagles in this thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out SS eagles in this thread.

Check out the compairing of a real to a "fake" SS sleeve eagle in the 1970s. Things change

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=194121

Thanks for showing Jpic!

I wonder however what the truth is? Is it a late war original or fake being passed off as original today? I just see that all of a sudden this eagle has become so common on todays market.

"Felix" - N. Hansson

Comment

That's a very interesting topic John!
      Thanks for pointing out!!

Kind regards,
      Gerd V

Comment

The bottom embroidered sleeve eagle in post #100 in that thread is a repro......no doubt about it.

These things were openly sold by Nick Morigi & Co. in the 1980s and 1990s as copies.

It's only in the last couple of years or so that they have become accepted as 'originals'.

You need a long memory in this game.

Comment

I have never liked these,but accepted the stories of some of the old schoolers that these were found in bundles.
          As I pointed out in that thread they certainly are common on tunics surfacing these days as opposed to years ago.Alot of things once thought fake are now considered real such as the RS badges.Someday maybe all the fake Gestapo Disks out there will become a legend found in bundles after the war and suddenly be real. Read the article there is a short paragraph mentioning SS sports insignias and other items that "appeared" in bundles.
          Last edited by John Pic; 01-27-2007, 11:00 AM.

Comment

That style of eagle is not one I like either! Never have! But the same style is pictured in Angolias book on p 439. Another fake that got into the Angolia book? Any thing in the Beaver books? (which I unfortunately dont have)

Comment

Originally posted by Felix View Post
              Any thing in the Beaver books?
              Yes.....it worked its way in there as well.

Comment

There are very close similar eagles out (compare the legs too) with just slightly differences and are original.

Comment

The bottom one in post #99 looks like the bowling pin eagle.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden View Post
                    The bottom embroidered sleeve eagle in post #100 in that thread is a repro......no doubt about it.

These things were openly sold by Nick Morigi & Co. in the 1980s and 1990s as copies.

It's only in the last couple of years or so that they have become accepted as 'originals'.

You need a long memory in this game.
                    I couldn't agree more, Robin. Funnily enough, one doesn't see too many of these eagles 'loose': they usually seem to be sewn onto Feldblusen. But I would say they've only started to be accepted as originals within the last two to three years. I seem to remember threads here and on the German daggers forum where they were agreed to be fakes. The slight 'shrug' to the shoulders was seen as the determining factor...

Comment

Thanks Basil.

It is nice to get confirmation from someone like yourself.

Comment

ss

Well the proverbial can of worms may be opened back up on this debate. The eagles with a "shrug" are not all fake and were part of the horde the 42nd infantry brought back. I am not going to mention the name of where they got them because we all know where it was and members here have debated this until the cows came home! Yes, there is a fake of this eagle but the difference is evident on the back in terms of the construction details. I have several of the real ones from various 42nd infantry and 20th armored vets.

Here is post on a dealers site of the eagle I am talking about.
                        http://www.gdmmilitaria.com/ (under cloth items)

I hope Bob Hritz will post some of the photos of the various groups he got from the same veteran units as I think he did take some photos at the time he received the groupings....

Marty
                        I love the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyC View Post
                          Well the proverbial can of worms may be opened back up on this debate.
                          Oh, no!

Comment

Originally posted by MartyC View Post
                            The eagles with a "shrug" are not all fake and were part of the horde the 42nd infantry brought back. I am not going to mention the name of where they got them because we all know where it was and members here have debated this until the cows came home! Yes, there is a fake of this eagle but the difference is evident on the back in terms of the construction details. I have several of the real ones from various 42nd infantry and 20th armored vets.

Here is post on a dealers site of the eagle I am talking about.
                            http://www.gdmmilitaria.com/ (under cloth items)...
                            That's a very different eagle to the one we're talking about, IMHO.

Comment

They are not very different,only slightly different. The eagle od Gailen Davids site appears to have a thicker embroidery. Unfortunately we cant see the reverse of the old newspaper article eagle.

Ill leave the contraversy up to others for discussion regarding hoards brought back by vets.I never buy these eagles real or not,I also never buy the Dachau items real or not. These things hold no interest for me and are rarely if ever seen being worn or used in period photos. I am quite suspicious of tunics with this type of eagle on them as numerous have surfaced in a relatively short time period.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X