SS KL NCO Visor Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brett Dixon View Post
    Anyone find it odd that the makers stamp is only inked onto the lining and that there is no sign of the ink stamp wearing off?

With wear to the sweatband like that I would expect the stamp in the inside to show some signs of wear as well considering it is stamped onto a smooth type surface....?

All in all the cap looks great, but this detail is actually a very good point Brett How can this be explained I wonder?

Comment

Brett,

I've always believed that some contract caps were made with colored-piping during the short period of time that they were authorized . . .

Brad

Comment

Anyone find it odd that the makers stamp is only inked onto the lining and that there is no sign of the ink stamp wearing off?

With wear to the sweatband like that I would expect the stamp in the inside to show some signs of wear as well considering it is stamped onto a smooth type surface....?
        I don't find it odd at all. There's plenty of caps out there with the makers stamp on oilcloth linings still looking pretty fresh after all these years. See below.
        In reference to the sweatband; the waterproof coating on these fabric bands flakes off with age more than with wear. Notice how the coating has come off on the edge of the fold. I'd expect that's because the band has been lifted up numerous times in the caps life and not due to wear from being on someone's head. In fact, I don't think this particular cap was worn much, if at all to be honest.
        Attached Files

Comment

I believe that all caps with coloured piping were private purchase caps and not issue caps, Brett

I strongly disagree with this statement. If anything logic would point in the opposite direction.

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ View Post
            I strongly disagree with this statement. If anything logic would point in the opposite direction.
            now I m not sure what is with this color piped caps?,privat made or standard issue only 1940 Caps?,I think better I pass.

Comment

Does anyone know the whereabouts of this visor now? I sold it to a guy in Australia but lost all his contact details. Does someone here own it?

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                Does anyone know the whereabouts of this visor now? I sold it to a guy in Australia but lost all his contact details. Does someone here own it?
                Ben,

He contacted me once long ago, and offered to sell it as he really needed the cash at that time. It was not long after you sold it to him. I did not have the amount of cash he wanted free at the time (and probably never will again!), and I had to pass. Since then, I have not heard from him again either . . .

I think I still have his contact information somewhere if you need it . . .

Brad

Comment

Thanks Brad, could you pm his details to me please?

Comment

Ben,

Still haven't had any luck, but I thought I'd bring this back to the top again! If I find anything, I'll be in contact . . .

Brad

Comment

Thanks Brad. One of these days, I'm hope to have this cap back in my collection, it's quite unique.

Comment

Ben,

I thought this was the "Cap of All Caps" and now you've sold it? If this was the real thing, which you fought hard about with a couple of people who questioned it, as well as brought Martin into the argument, this cap would be the last of my stuff out the door. Why did you sell it? You've only had it for about a year, right?

Bob

Originally posted by BenVK View Post

Comment

Bob,
                          You hit a chord with me there. In all my years of collecting SS headgear I have only seen three or four real examples of colour piped caps. I perhaps foolishly didn't buy them when I could but if I did get an authentic example you would have to pry it from my lifeless fingers.
                          Derek

Comment

Yes, I hope this turns up somewhere (with someone we all know) in the future . . . and if it's the right time, maybe in my collection! (Sorry Ben, but I too have long not forgotten this one! . . .) It is such a uniquely nice specimen . . .

Brad

Comment

I had no choice but to sell it. I had to pay off a large debt at the time. Should have taken a loan out instead.

Comment

If I were ever so lucky and fortunate enough to acquire this visor, I don't think it would leave my sight first year, never mind sell it!!! Personally, I would sell off my entire collection and then some before parting with this cap. What really bits is now you'll probably wind up paying double what you sold it for, if you have the opportunity to buy it again. But, as we all know... lightning can strike in the same place twice!

It would be interesting to see what it would sell for now, should it ever turn up for sale publicly.

Anyone want to take a guess?

Ouch!

Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X