X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The back side.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice one! They all seem to be done in styles resembling minitures of thier sleeve counterparts. You certainly dont see any caps with them sewn to it for sale anymore,what a find one of those would be these days.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic
        Nice one! They all seem to be done in styles resembling minitures of thier sleeve counterparts. You certainly dont see any caps with them sewn to it for sale anymore,what a find one of those would be these days.
        Hi Jon, I think you've hit the nail on the head there, these look like "miniatures of sleeve eagles" and my example doesn't really. By that I mean, it's all one type of embroidery, not different types as in the other examples.

This is a tough one for me. As you can tell, my eagle is on a cap, the cap is also super rare. It's on hold for me but I had reservations about the eagle which is why I posted it. I've factored in that if real, the eagle would be a considerable part of the overall cost of the cap. If not real, I would then have to return to the seller and re-negotiate the price.

I honestly thought that you guys would slam this eagle and now I'm a bit stumped because quite a lot of you like it!
        Last edited by BenVK; 01-22-2006, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Not all sleeve eagles used the four different types of bullion thread or the accents on the wreaths etc. its nice to find those but there is no law governing this. Does yours light up under UV light? To be quite honest its impossible to tell for sure but it certainly looks nicely made.

Comment

John, I've not got the cap yet so I can't say whether it glows.
            I think I'll post some pics of the cap anyway to see what the verdict is.

Comment

Ben,

Thanks for posting the eagle. Hope everything works out. Looking forward to seeing the cap!

Comment

Ben,

Thanks for posting the eagle. Hope everything works out. Looking forward to seeing the cap!

Comment

I assume that, like the sleeve eagles, these cap eagles were embroidered over a standardized cardboard template- does anyone have one of these in cap eagle size? I would think that provided the proportions were correct that variations in the type of bullion embroidery would be acceptable...

Comment

Just an observation;
                    In all the years of collecting I have only seen 2 hand embroidered ss cap eagles that I consider original, maybe others have seen more but I am sure they will also say that originals existed wartime but are exceptions rather than the norm.

I do not know If there is any relevant paperwork regarding said insignia maybe Mr Chapman/Mr Toncar or? Might be able to help.

Another observation is considering how rare these pieces of insignia are ( and we should not forget that) I have never seen so many offered for sale as i have in the last 10 years, I do not mean this as a slur on the items that started this thread or any other just that they seem to have become much more commoner than they used to be.

cheers
                    Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X