SS NCOs Cap Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian Hulley
    almost looks like the sweatband (and presumably it's associated peak) is from another,larger sized,cap.

Cheers,Ian.
    I think that's a valid observation..I also don't believe the sweatband belongs to this cap..
    Last edited by BenVK; 09-12-2005, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by paul a
      A friend of mine has recently purchased this cap I myself am not a head gear collector, personally I don't like it but I would ask for some informed comments on it, my friend has a lot of money riding on this cap so I would appreciate any comments but please don't just say its fake or I don't like it as he needs some ammunition if this is to go back. Thanks for all your trouble in advance

Paul,
      I have seen this cap before I almost did not recognise it as last time I saw it had different metal insignia on it.

It came out of a collection in Holland and was bought by a UK dealer at beltering 2 years ago or there about's without insignia, sold to a collector a week later who then sold it to a dealer for £650.00 about 9 months ago is your friend the dealer of has it been sold on again?
      cheers
      Gary
      PS I think i have some photos on file somewhere will post them here if i find them

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

the photos above that were sent to me by a friend are dated july 2002, this SS-VT fatigue jacket also came with the cap from the same Dutch seller,
                cheers
                Gary
                Attached Files

Comment

last one
                  Attached Files

Comment

I cannot tell from the scans exactly, but is the piping actually overlapping as opposed to butting together in the rear? SS headgear is not my bag, but overlapping piping is usually a dead-bang tip-off for a Latvian special when it is on a Heer visor. The rest of the cap, save for the sweat band, seems to be of better quality than the typical Latvian jobs, but I would worry that the cap's been hacked together from several parts. I'd like to get a clear shor of how the piping meets up in the rear...

Don

Comment

Zusammengebastelt

Based on the incomplete data of these images, I suggest that this cap has been put together. There are several signs of suspicion here, mentioned, in part, by my colleague from Texas. I would mention the fuzzy piping akin to a furry animal, which bespeaks something other than use and the passage of more than six decades. To be sure, some piping can be fuzzy, but this piece sort of goes over the top when you analyze the other elements in play and fairly barks of its youth compared to the thread-bare, stained, yellowed silence of the old. John Donovan had a cap of this type that was quite authentic, which he sold here a while back. If anyone downloaded the image, it forms a useful basis of comparison. Viel Sammlerglueck! PS Since the mid-1960s, I have looked at a lot of white piping with a magnifying glass for longer than sanity or common sense would allow.
                      Last edited by Donald Abenheim; 09-25-2005, 09:28 PM.

Comment

May I concur with my esteemed colleague Dr. Abenheim with regards to the original use of this type of course wool in the fabication of SS NCO visor caps during the war. Six years ago, a picker purchased an unopened K ration box at a farm auction in upstate New York which had been shipped back by a GI during the war. Inside, was a SS armband with a number of badges pinned through the material and a similar visor cap without a chin strap. The hat never had a chin strap and was mishaped from many years being confined in the box that was too small for it. I bought it and kept the piece for several years. Stupidly, I traded it off about four years ago-an act I still regret. I also purchased one in similar material from a vet in the late 60's. I have also owned an officer's in this material that was evidently a field worn hat. Having not seen one is not always the best reason to doubt a piece. It is more important to judge the age of the material and the construction first. As to the originality of this piece, I like the outside consturction but have some problems with the seatband and the liner. I could only make a final determination based on a hands on inspection.

Bob
                        Last edited by Bob Coleman; 09-25-2005, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Eskimo, Einheitstuch, fuzzy cloth

Depending on the weight of the cloth, this kind of eskimo or Einheitstuch fabric is perfectly alright in a cap of this kind. The Donovan piece has this felted cloth. I recently examined an officer's piece that is a twin to the cap on the cover of the Wilkins book, and which came from the premier East Coast dealer, and it has just such a felted cloth---it is 110% authentic and dated ca. 1941---that is the buttons are with a VA code and date I had not seen heretofore. One finds this fabric in army caps, too, and I own same. However, fake caps are also made from cut up over coats or breeches, which are much too heavy or at least a heavy grade of fabric for caps which were supposed to be light---especially if you had to wear one all the time. What causes me suspcion in this piece is the disharmony among elements that should show wear in a unified way. If a piece has been sealed up for decades, and it was in near perfect condition when gotten, then it can be in a very high state of preservation and fresh in its colors. This cap at hand shows wear to certain parts, and lack of wear to others, that bespeaks to me remanufacture. Caps can be dirty on the inside and clearn on the outside, but the wear has to accord with age, with likely service, &c. AND....all of this is verbose conjecture without seeing the silly thing in the cloth. Sapere aude!

Comment

The white piped officer's cap I've just bought has the same type felt cloth below the velvet band although the cap's cover is trikot.

Comment

Filz/Trikot, quo vadis?

Originally posted by BenVK
                              The white piped officer's cap I've just bought has the same type felt cloth below the velvet band although the cap's cover is trikot.
                              This variation of fabric in a single cap is authentic in my opinion. Once more, it is so hard to generalize about things from these images. I wish I could examine the cap in person. However, colleague Coleman is a person of great wisdom in this material. Is your email coordinates included in your profile? I shall send you an image for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Abenheim
                                This variation of fabric in a single cap is authentic in my opinion. Once more, it is so hard to generalize about things from these images. I wish I could examine the cap in person. However, colleague Coleman is a person of great wisdom in this material. Is your email coordinates included in your profile? I shall send you an image for reference.

Please do Donald
                                benvk@talktalk.net

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X