SS NCOs Cap Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS NCOs Cap Help Needed

A friend of mine has recently purchased this cap I myself am not a head gear collector, personally I don't like it but I would ask for some informed comments on it, my friend has a lot of money riding on this cap so I would appreciate any comments but please don't just say its fake or I don't like it as he needs some ammunition if this is to go back. Thanks for all your trouble in advance
    Attached Files

ss CAP

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

SS cap

Pic 3
      Attached Files

Comment

SS cap

pic 4
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello Paul

better shots are needed especially of the insignia and inside the cap. Is there a cut in the scull ?

regards Jens

Comment

SS Cap

pic 5
            Attached Files

Comment

SS Cap

pic 6
              Attached Files

Comment

SS Cap

pic 7
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello Paul,

I personally don't like what I see. Firstly, the wool is very course and never seen this type in any original visor cap. Secondly, check how the sweatband is connected at the rear, I would say very amateurish job. Thirdly, the lining is very sloppily attached inside the visor. All in all workmansip is very poor. As I said, this is only my opinion.

Regards,

Comment

I agree with Tony. The first thing I noticed was the rough looking wool cover - the material doesn't look right at all, and the interior has a lot to be desired. It also has an Army NCO chin strap, which is neither here nor there but just another ding!

Comment

Cap cover quo vadis?

The key here with this piece is the weight of the cloth. With the onset of the war, the Trikot cap covers apparently were supplemented by this felted, Eskimo, or Einheitstuch like cloth. See Wilkins for the proper nomenclature of this textile, but it is like that of the Feldbluse. Look at the piece on the front of the Wilkins book, actually by way of comparison as well. The matter though, is a.) cap cloth; b.) blouse/tunic or c.) overcoat cloth are quite different in weight. I, however, would not automatically dismiss this kind of felted-cloth, aka.Einheitstuch in a cap made durig the war--unless it weighed a ton like an overcoat. In four decades or so, I have seen more than one authentic SS cap (gray) in such material. The manner in which the piping is also crossed over in the rear is, in my opinion, typical of Austrian/Ostmaerkische cap makers. I would not automatically dismiss it either. These images are not especially clear and I would be skeptical without clear images with a fullness of critical details.

Comment

I agree 100% the gray cloth is incorrect. I also do not care for the material in the black NCO band, from these photos. I believe the condition and quality of the leather sweatband and overall "like new" exterior confirm the fact that this is some postwar conncoction!

Jerry

Comment

That wool looks like a brillo pad. And Tony nailed how that band is fixed in the rear. Poor indeed.

Comment

Good evening,

Agreed, the pictures leave "a little" to be desired.

It is difficult for me to tell, is there any color variation between the area where the hat's white piping is normally exposed and where it would be more "covered"?

It seems that, from time, this white piping will age ("yellow"), something quite different from dirt and this "kiss of time" I feel, is quite difficult to accurately duplicate.

The negative comments on the sweatband and lining would be relevant for me.

Addressing the "course wool," I have seen at least one hat of this nature that had exceptionally course wool; and I would be shocked if any forum member would refrain from owning it.

B. N. Singer

Comment

As a total novice in this field may I make an observation/pose a question ? ... Is it 'normal' or 'acceptable' for the sweatband to overlap in such a way ? In examples I have seen they have met in the rear middle and had a bow or some such to trim it off. In my ignorance it almost looks like the sweatband (and presumably it's associated peak) is from another,larger sized,cap.

Cheers,Ian.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X