Photo of Concentration Camp guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo of Concentration Camp guard

I finally got this photo today, which I was hunting for some time now.
    I did know where it was, but the seller, which is not a collector, didn't wanted to part with it for quite some time.
    Well, enough money could finally turn his mind and I am happy now !

Just wanted to share this one with You.

Interesting side-note - the photo is dated 3.3.1940. Angolia's Clothes Insignia states that these collar-tabs were only worn until 1937.
    Also a very fine view of the old-style visor hat.

Another gap closed.

Regards
    Robert

Great photo.

This one even looks like a camp guard....

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Noss
      Interesting side-note - the photo is dated 3.3.1940. Angolia's Clothes Insignia states that these collar-tabs were only worn until 1937.
      Perhaps it is a copy he let make by the same photographer as the first one, but at a later date? Wasn't it done by professional photographers, that they kept the (glass)negatives?
      I wouldn't trust a date on the back off a picture made by a photographer, becouse you'll never know when the picture was taken and later develloped. If the picture is dated in pencil or written in ink it is more trustable.

Nevertheless, it is a splendid picture
      Olivier Vercammen

Comment

Robert, that looks like a machine cotton thread collar tab, I have never seen it made in thread, very rare, In my collection I have it in bullion hand embroidered pattern only and the few other examples in collections I have noted are the same. That is one very rare picture.Thanks for sharing it.
        Jim

Comment

What a great picture. This is a fantastic image of the NCO crusher also!

Comment

Na bitte!

An impressive image. I wonder what happened to this man, or who he was?

Comment

He later starred in the movie "Battle of the Bulge" as the Panzer Officer. (uncanning similar looks IMO)

Honestly, great picture!!! Thanks for sharing! I see why the seller didn't want to part with it.

Comment

For Jim, here is a close-up of the tab. The photo is very clear and crisp, which makes good detail scans possible.

Think You are right, it is machine cotton thread.

To Olivier - of course You are right. The date on the back does not necessarily indicate the true date of the day the photo was taken.

Here is a scan of the back:

The man's name was Langmaier.

Thanks for all the replies so far.
                I am really very happy with that photo.

Robert

Comment

Class photo ...Check out the steely look in his eye.

BTW, The name on the reverse looks like "Bergmeir" or "Bergmein" to me.

Comment

That is a killer photo

Comment

Excellent photo. Exactly what kind of collar tab is that? I have never seen one before.

Comment

Great pic

Glenn
                        "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Sutterlin

Might I cordially suggest that this name is perhaps Bergmeier....or Bergmein (maybe....now that I look a second time...) L and B look similar in Sutterlin/deutsche Schrift. If this name is correct, then the Bundesarchiv/Berlin Document Center of even possibly the Ludwigsburg Forschungstelle in Stuttgart could identify him more.
                          Last edited by Donald Abenheim; 09-08-2005, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Abenheim
                            Might I cordially suggest that this name is perhaps Bergmeier. L and B look similar in Sutterlin/deutsche Schrift. If this name is correct, then the Bundesarchiv/Berlin Document Center of even possibly the Ludwigsburg Forschungstelle in Stuttgart could identify him more.

I agree with Donald on the name. The only unclear letter in it is the final "r", but it would seem that's what it is given the letters preceeding it.

Steve
                            ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

A totally superb picutre of a rare visor and tunic. Yes, its a very "germanic" picture

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X