Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer straps opinions please

Hi Guys,

The piping on these is the shorter weave rayon type which I know is generally not well liked- how do these look please?

Many thanks for your opinions

Patrick
    Attached Files

any opinions appreciated

Comment

The tresse has the appearance of that used by the DDR Volksarmee.

Comment

Hi, thank you I agree it is similar but to the best of my knowledge this particular type on these boards is considered wartime. The NVA stuff is shiny and synthetic. There is original pre 45 elongated diamond tresse and it is of this type.

See here-

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...versus-reality

Comment

Before coming to a conclusion, it is worth noting page 173 of the Beaver/ Bando book on SS insignia. About the "mouse grey NCO tress on the USA veteran brought back example picked up at Carentan 13 June 1944,

Chris
          Attached Files

Comment

555.jpg
            Originally posted by Patrick W View Post
            Hi, thank you I agree it is similar but to the best of my knowledge this particular type on these boards is considered wartime. The NVA stuff is shiny and synthetic. There is original pre 45 elongated diamond tresse and it is of this type.

See here-

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...versus-reality
            I agree with you
            Last edited by Stive; 08-01-2020, 08:21 AM.

Comment

This is the comparison that is needed,

Chris
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Chris and Stive- so Chris I guess from your post you believe the tresse may have been tailor added on promotion?

very likely I think as this type is very rarely encountered and not at all standard on any factory SS straps.

do the other aspects of the straps look ok to you?

many thanks

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick W View Post
                  Thanks Chris and Stive- so Chris I guess from your post you believe the tresse may have been tailor added on promotion?

very likely I think as this type is very rarely encountered and not at all standard on any factory SS straps.

do the other aspects of the straps look ok to you?

many thanks

Patrick
                  Hello Patrick,

It is hard to know exactly when the tress was put on the SS straps. There is every chance that it is factory applied tress. It has been put on neatly by someone who seems to have known what they were doing. The important question in terms of the tress, is the question of postwar verses the rare wartime similar looking tress. Is there any way that you can take a photo side by side with a NVA NCO shoulder strap or two ?

As far as the SS strap itself being wartime or not. Again hard to tell from those image. Images laid out flat and open showing both sides would help. The only questionable point I can see at this stage, is the tunic size button hole. Some collectors do not accept straps with the large size tunic button hole as being correct,

Chris

p.s. the reason I post the image of page 173 from the Beaver/ Bando is because I am trying to tell if it is the same tress as on the Carentan US veteran brought back strap ???
                  Last edited by 90th Light; 08-03-2020, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Hi Chris, no it's not the same type of tresse as on the strap in the book. I don't own any NVA stuff so have nothing to compare however the tresses is clearly metallic not synthetic and matches the above shown comparisons very well.

Here are some more pictures-
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have edited the pictures hopefully they will help to get a better assessment
                      Attached Files

Comment

BTW I would have interest to know if the piping is a classical version variation of the "Fertigpaspel" ( one piece ready piping ) or a piece of synthetic silk-like piping sewn around a piece of string , and then used to build these straps ?
                        Nick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X