Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue coating on lenses 6x30

Guys,

Question. Does somebody knows something about the use of a blue coating on the outer lenses on German 6x30 binos?
    It has something to do with anti-reflection, as I was searching the net..
    But is there some information if it was used on later types of German 6x30 binoculars during WW2?

François

I've heard of the occasional 6x30 Dienstglas coated during WW2 but not come across any - they're pretty rare.

But I do have a fully coated (all the optics including the prisms) Zeiss Silvamar 6x30 which dates from before WW2 - the colour of the coating is identical to early WW2 Zeiss naval binocular coatings.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I made some pictures for my question. Last picture is to compare it with a normal 6x30.

François
      Attached Files

Comment

Happy to help - what's marked on the coated one?

Comment

Here are some shots of the markings. On the right side are slightly different markings as usual. There is a B and a some sort of square.

François
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello
            this bino was used after the war by Finnish ( I think it was finish) army and thats the reason for the blue coating, Swarovski never have had blue coating

Comment

Is it reissued then? The blue lenses are inside.
              And it's never been opened. Or is it recoated?

François
              Attached Files

Comment

Some more.
                Attached Files

Comment

It's a reworked Bulgarian Army binocular - the "20" in a square is the Bulgarian Warsaw Pact Code.

It's been coated by the Bulgarians and, as Benutzer says, was never coated in WW2.

Comment

I should add - it probably wasn't issued originally to Bulgaria...

Comment

Thank you for the information and feed back guys.

So it's some sort of hybrid, Bulgarian made with German WW2 Swarovski parts?

Did the Bulgarian army also used the Strichen with 6400? On the inside the grid is still there.

François

Comment

It's German made by Swarovski but later reworked by Bulgaria. Some WW2 German optics were made specifically for their allies (Bulgaria, Rumania, Hungary etc) but they weren't usually marked Dienstglas.

A lot of ex German kit was incorporated into other forces after the war then sold off as new kit became available. Nice find!

Comment

I attach a snapshot of some of my cag serial numbers.

The photographic records of the listed "Bulgaria" binos (serial numbers: 46420 - 47794) that I have on file disclose the following:

1. all the binos are marked on the right prism plate with the number 20 placed inside two sets of surrounding superimposed parallel lines (same as bino that started this thread)

2. all the binos are marked "Dienstglas" (same as bino that started this thread).

3. all the binos are marked with the +O grease mark which I am guessing is around mid-war period (same as bino that started this thread).

4. some binos are either marked with A or B or Б next to the number 20 (same as bino that started this thread). Some binos have no markings next to the number 20.

5. some of the binos have a dark blue-purple coating (same as bino that started this thread). It is possible that all the binos have coated lenses as it is not possible to view all the objective lenses from the available photos.

Although I use reference "Bulgaria" in my list I have no basis to know whether these binos were made or used by Bulgaria or any other country for that matter. An earlier post on this forum suggested these binos were used by Finland:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ocular+strange

Given that the listed binos are all sequentially numbered, I would be very surprised if it was established that these binos were in fact all re-worked post-WWII in Bulgaria.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Michael Downey; 10-28-2017, 07:28 PM.

Comment

"20" in a square is Bulgarian - Finland is often quoted and now muddies the water. Just as BCNr Zeiss binoculars were once thought to be Brazilian contract but we know now they're Rumanian.

I doubt the Finns would willingly adopt the Warsaw Pact reticle.

http://www.fernglasmuseum.at/museum/...as_6mal30.html

Die Zahl in dem doppelten Rechteck weist auf
                            das Einsatzland hin - in diesem Fall Rumänien
                            oder Bulgarien.

The number in the double rectangle indicates
                            the country of employment - in this case Romania or Bulgaria.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?p=5460541

100% an original erv bino, well it's not in original condition because it was used by an other army after the war ( double surround 20 inscription )

check out the 20 markings.

shows that it was in use by Rumänien or Bulgarien army

Comment

I meant to add - Bulgaria didn't just overhaul / coat ex Wehrmacht or Soviet optics. They also refurbished their old stock including mid 30's Huets and WW1 Goerz with the "20" in a double square.

Some of these binos retained the Bulgarian markings (I have a few).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X