Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSS marked Zeiss 8 x 60 Kriegsmarine binoculars - tables of MSS and serial numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the best movies ever!
    Yes, I saw one being used there.
    Any idea what the bino one of the crew (the South American German) attached to the Target instrument?
    Another 8x60? The objektiv looks that size?
    Last edited by Lauritz; 04-09-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I can't recall but probably a UDF 7x50. When damaged, they could be replaced with an 8x60 (my fat one has clamp marks and a reticle too)

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/91/bc/e0/9...b51a768249.jpg

These could wwithstand diving depth but obviously the 8x60's couldn't and would have to be removed before diving.

Comment

Replace a fat one with the udf? Fat one do have bigger centerrod than the udf.

Comment

The grey mount is definitely grey. Only, it is not designed like the black one. Different shape. But, yes, grey.
          Bino itself looks like the early prewar 8x60 to me. Possibly with filters.
          Last edited by Mikedenmark; 04-09-2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Now this may sound totally crazy and sacrilegious, but it should be possible to make a kind of copy of both the (small) swan neck, and the tubular one ( as in the link Sgt Bilko provided)
            Unless I can scrounge a similar looking part as the swan neck, the easiest but still strong solution would be using quality plywood.
            For the tubular one a scuba tank and work on that.

I want to be able to mount them on a tripod and use them.

( Sorry to have taken this thread off topic, if the moderator finds this not acceptable, I can start a new thread)

Comment

Originally posted by Mikedenmark View Post
              The grey mount is definitely grey. Only, it is not designed like the black one. Different shape. But, yes, grey.
              Bino itself looks like the early prewar 8x60 to me. Possibly with filters.
              The big swan is designet for the 8x60 Deckmounted with filters. You will find photoes of it in the zeiss archiv. :-)

Comment

Big swanneck

http://www.archive.zeiss.de/szeig.FA...&erg=A&qpos=31

Ident- nummer 2519

Small swanneck for the 8x60 tall : 2545. Version for ships
                Last edited by zeissasembi; 04-09-2020, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Like I see it:
                  Large swanneck : 8x60 Deckmounted

Small swanneck (shipversion): 8x60tall and fat

Small swanneck ( these we normally see): 8x60 tall and fat.

Small clamp #1 ( for tripod, baumschaube etc) : 8x60ies with thick centerrod.

Small clamp#2( for tripod etc) : 8x60tall with thin centerrod. Will also fit 8x60 deckmounted and some 7x50

How many other mountings for binoculars there have been made? Not easy to know. Hopefully someone will find out.

Some example: uzo, tuza2, bnza,RP40 ...........................

Btw: 8x60 fat do have thick centerrod and udf thin centerrod. The fat one don't fit the uzoclamp. The BNZA 8X60 do have thin centerrod but it wouldn't fit the udf clamp either. I have tried on a Tuza2a
                  Last edited by zeissasembi; 04-10-2020, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Replace a fat one with the udf? Fat one do have bigger centerrod than the udf.

If the fat one was solely for U boats and some have reticles, it must have been mounted. A hand held single line reticle is useless otherwise. Maybe an adaptor was used?

E Boats also had the facility to replace their targetting UDF with a 7x50H complete with added quick sights.

PS You beat me to it!

Comment

I think 7x50H is ok vs udf

RP 40 - there is thin and thick clamp to put on top for the binos.

Adapters ? I think so but never seen.

Comment

The early one ( MSS 47) has exactly the same reticule as the late non MSS Blc 8x60
                        A thin straight vertical line running from edge to edge with a very short horizontal line crossing it in the middle.
                        Last edited by Lauritz; 04-10-2020, 10:28 AM.

Comment

M.s.s. 1688

Originally posted by zeissasembi View Post
                          Hello there,

I just joined this group.
                          The reason is that I inherited from my dad a MSS binoculars in excellent conditions, and I’m planning sell/trade it.

MSS 1688-.pdf

A while ago a friend got some info about it, from this website:

T = coated optics
                          blc = Manufacturer cose for Zeiss
                          8x60 = magnification
                          M = Marine

And so on...
                          Would anybody kindly provide me any guidance ...(?)

Thanks in advance
                          Paulo
                          dariodubai@yahoo.com

Comment

Depends on what you want for it. The last 6 months I have seen a couple ( 4 or so?) for sale, which is weird, as they are supposed to be rare as hen’s teeth!

That one seems to be a nice example. Pity about the scratches!

Does it still retain the serial number plate on the hinge?
                            Last edited by Lauritz; 05-05-2020, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X