CollectorsGuild

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSS marked Zeiss 8 x 60 Kriegsmarine binoculars - tables of MSS and serial numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSS marked Zeiss 8 x 60 Kriegsmarine binoculars - tables of MSS and serial numbers

I am posting the following tables of information relating to MSS marked Zeiss 8 x 60 Kriegsmarine binoculars on behalf of MrZeiss - a friend, mentor and fellow WAF member.

a. MSS number table:

The first table numerically details observed MSS numbers together with accompanying serial numbers. In some instances the serial number is not known and in a limited number of cases the serial number has been assumed (pending confirmation). In one instance (MSS 344) the number is inferred by reason that the first digit was not able to be clearly identified.

b. MSS serial number table:

The second table details MSS numbers by reference to nine different blocks of Zeiss 8 x 60 Kriegsmarine binocular serial numbers. As can be readily seen there is only a rough correlation between the sequence of MSS numbers and serial numbers. It should be noted that where a MSS number (e.g. MSS 1132) is known but its corresponding serial number is not known, details of that particular MSS marked 8 x 60 Kriegsmarine binocular will only appear on the MSS number table.

No doubt there many MSS marked binoculars in existence that have either not yet been observed, or if observed, not yet recorded. The intention is to update the MSS tables from time to time. WAF forum members are welcome to provide additions and corrections, but only those MSS numbers and serial numbers which are posted together with accompanying photographs will be included in updated tables. For those forum members who are unable to post photos or scans please feel free to contact MrZeiss or me by private message or e-mail.

Last edited by Michael Downey; 10-29-2016, 09:03 PM.

Posted below is the MSS number table:

Attached Files

Comment

Posted below is the MSS serial number table:

Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so much. Truly.

Comment

Great work and truly appreciated. Was it only the first two blocks that had straight sides as opposed to stepped sides like this one MSS 275?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLC-8x60-K...p2047675.l2557

Comment

Mss

The only ones known to me with straight sides are No 55 and No 83. No 5 has the later sides (like No 275 that you have linked to an eBay sale). I wish I could date No 83. I have made an inspired guess that it is 1881452 but it is only a guess.

The list that was posted today by my good friend Michael has taken 25 years to reach this stage. There is a large gap between MSS 1200 and MSS 1600 (approximately). Who knows where they all went? And the ones with 2145xxx start with MSS around 2000 and then go backwards to around MSS 1600. Again who knows why?

I would like to thank Michael for tidying up the list and making it as friendly as can be.

The good work continues

Comment

Thanks for that - I'd like to date MSS 83 too as it's my one but I think your estimate is correct. It seems there's more questions than answers with the MSS numbering system but, if anyone can resolve them, it's you and Michael!

Comment

Great job! I fear I can't add anything though. Ser. Nr. on mine is already in the list and is correct.

Comment

The list shows 2079342 marked MSS 372
                  now on Ebay 2079343 marked MSS 374.

Wonder where MSS 373 is - maybe on a non 8x60 binocular?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zeiss-8x60...YAAOSwaeRZKqey

Comment

Shame it's been "restored"....

Comment

Originally posted by MOLEHUNTER View Post
                      Shame it's been "restored"....
                      Agree!

Comment

I still like to know the setup of the MSS.
                        Being a military secret, it is unlikely that anyone wrote a popular book, or article, on it. And the archives, I have been told, were dumped in the sixties. Still, I believe that there are info out there, somewhere. Maybe from the german Seerettungsdienst or some other agency that would interact with the MSS.
                        Weather reports were part of their job, so maybe there is a pile of old yellowed paper somewhere, with info on the weather, and incidently on the positions and instruments used.
                        May not be on the bino´s, but if the MSS barometers were used, it would be prudent also to note the instrument number in such observation reports.

It may be a fairy tale, but daydreaming can be fun.

Comment

MSS 1204 - especially for Molehunter!

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/mo...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

You hit below the belt Bilko.

Comment

ouch!!

Don't mean to butt-in, but these guys ...

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/mo...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

... should be flogged for Bino Abuse, or something. Only worse thing I have ever seen was an FG-42 sanded and reblued.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X