No announcement yet.

zeiss zielvier sniper scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Zeiss Zielvier scopes used by the german army were originally purchased in the late 1920s.the german army had no interest in using sniper rifles by the mid 1930s.all the sniper rifles had been returned to the depots and in storage.the army purchased Zielvier scopes and other scopes left over from WW1 were being sold off as surplus for several years before 1938/1939.there was no demand for new Zeiss Zielvier or other sniper scopes by the german army again before about 1942 or 1943.Zeiss owned Hensoldt so Hensoldt built the new sniper scopes when they were needed.there were thousands of other optical products that Zeiss needed to make for the german army,navy,airforce.the hightest Zeiss scope in my data is in the low 82,000 range and it is a civilian scope with the F.Faulkner,Prague prewar retailer marking engraved on the tube.also there are Zeiss Zielvier Dural and Zielsechs Dural scopes and other model scopes mixed in with the high serial number scopes.all these Zeiss scopes also have a typical prewar marking on the tubes and no 3 letter code marking like on the Hensoldt scopes.i think these commercially marked scopes were made or partly made before mid 1940 and then stored in the factory.in this period the german military was greatly expanded and the failure of the invasion of england forced the german industry to realize that it was going to be a long war and manufacture of military goods was expanded.in 1944 the steel tubed Zielvier and Zielsechs scopes were removed from storage and completed as sniper scopes and engraved with the triangle lubrication code mark.there is no internal difference between a civilian Zeiss scope and a military Zeiss scope.the difference is the + or triangle mark and the elevation marks on the elevation knob.the original Zeiss Zielvier scopes purchased by the german army were never marked with a lubrication code even when used on the early turret mount rifles.there were never german military Zielvier scope serial blocks.the commercial Zielvier and the German military Zielvier serials were mixed together.
    Last edited by C.P.Goerz; 08-27-2012, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I have a Zielsechs #30352 with no + or triangle marking. It has no 1 thru 8 increments on the dial. The claw mounts are sweated on with the rear one offset to the right with a B in a circle stamped on it. I guess this a civilian model?

Comment

Sorry rear mount offset to the LEFT. The leather case is marked by the owner Mannl .9 , 5 Z This is a Vet bringback.
        Last edited by GaryC; 09-22-2012, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Hello

What year also for an Zielvier serial number 22886?.

tnx

Comment

Zielvier age?

I would like to find out production date on my claw mounted carl zeiss jena zielvier scope serial # Nr 34405 and it has the letters Sch. Stamped on the top between objective and adjustment knob. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Gary C, Your Zielvier is set up for and marked to a Mannlicher Schoenauer sporting rifle in caliber 9.5x57. (that's not the owners name) they used an offset rear base like that. Kevin.

Comment

zielvier scope

I have a scope that reads "Zielvier #3996 Carl Zeiss Jena" and the company dated the scope to 1922.
                Does anyone know how many of these very early scopes still exist and where the best place to market it would be????

Comment

scope

This is the one I have. Would it have military or commercial?

Comment

Hello

already posted in your previous post on another forum commercial only.

later
                    vaughn

Comment

Hello,

I've a Zeiss Zielsechs with serial #14845, could you help me, with the date of production? I would like to put it on an 1941 Mauser Oberndorf for portugal export made k98, with a repro high turret mount. k98 has a lot of Waa markings, and matching numbers.
                      What do you think? Did the Wehrmacht or SS used this portugal export k98? It has a good barrel, original 8x57IS caliber, so I hope it will fire well on range and on hunting. (of course I have licence )
                      Thanks, regards
                      Laci

Comment

What about a Jena Zielvier scopes?
                        Last edited by chucky555; 10-27-2016, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Zielsech authenticity and date range of manufacture

Thank you everyone for the wonderful information and discussions!

I have a Zielsech Zeiss with a Carl Zeiss Jena emblem with white paint in the letters. It has a fine crosshair/dot reticle. It is serial number 70019.

honestly, it just looks too perfect to be original condition. Both the finish and the lenses.

The soldered on rings are on the straight part of the scope tube like the modern scopes of today, with none attached to the bell of the body. The rings are the toggle arm clamp type that match the scope style and possible age, but don't match any of the mounting configurations I've seen in all the internet photos I've seen indicating that maybe it's been altered... if it isn't a replica or something...

The rings would attach to a roughly 15.79 mm to 16.98 mm dovetail base as measured from the innermost of the ring's dovetail clamp (to match the widest part of a base). There is nearly a mm of difference between the two ring clamps (not really the German precision that I am familiar with)...

The rear ring has a windage screw with hash marks around it. The elevation turret has just one mark or line that is painted white that is in relation to a white arrow.

The only other number on the scope is a stamped "375" on the windage ring base.

These are all the clues I have. I have read a very little about fakes and replicas and I would like your opinion as to whether this might be one, and if you can give me a range of years that this might have been made.

And or ANY other information such as commercial civilian manufacture or government... (I can take photos and try to link them if that would be more useful and helpful)... Thank you, thank you...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X