Greek army DF 8x30 1940 binoculars Hellenic Army ΕΣ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lauritz, you are right and I am wrong.
    I was just checking it up as my friend and collector college Joackim L. also gave me a hint.
    The text on the box (you can not see it on the pictures of this auktion) is :
    M/48T
    The question is; what does the T stand for, as the binocular is not coated?
    It might be "tillbehör"-accessories. Later on I have seen the short MT for "Med tillbehör"- with accessories.
    Let's look into this futher. I am retierd now so I hope to spend some time in the Swedish arcives this Fall, if the Corona situation allows it.
    Last edited by Binoswede; 05-21-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

I checked the political history of Greece online, and it seems the political climate became anti German at the end of the 30’s, from being pro German.
      Maybe that is why the order was not delivered to Greece and later given to Finland?

M/48T:
      I could not get my head around why the ‘M’ was written with a capital letter, as the Sw. Army uses a small ‘m’ in the inventory system, but learned the Sw. Navy used the capital M.
      Last edited by Lauritz; 05-21-2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Binoswede.
        The set offered presently in Sweden has a tan tripod. Only one I have ever seen with a swedish box. Might that suggest it has been brought together at some later point?
        Your dkl theory may turn out to be true after all. Even though, I admit, the bino looks pristine, like most of the other swedish 10x80.

I will check the maker on my own swedish set. I did manage to get a set at the time.
        I wonder if the swedish 10x80 might have been bought directly from the company? Given that the transportation system was breaking down by the end of the war, they may have stored completed bino´s. Unable to get them out.
        Which means, that when the german government stopped their payments, the company still owned what had not been paid for.
        Messy times, not only in the field.

As for the swedish archive. I envy you.

About the Lathi pistols. There was an article in Deutsche Waffen Journal in the 1990-ies. I think they showed the markings on the weak pistol frames. So they could be picked out later.
        In denmark we also had, and still has, the overloaded 9x19 cartridge for submachine guns. Used indiscriminately in SMG and officer pistols. So people have for years been shooting their service pistols and any other 9 mm pistol they may have, to pieces with that service ammo. Lugers and P38 cracks and bends under the pressure.
        Odd thing was, the danish police used the Walther 7.65. Unwilling to gun up to powerfull deadly 9 mm, they chose to buy special overpowered 7.65 ammo from GECO.
        The result was the slides of the police pistols crack as well. The PP is a delicate thing. Not suited for overpowered ammo. I once had a chance to check out a couple of hundred danish police PP´s up for sale. They almost had to fall apart before they were retired. Unbelievable.
        Today, the police here use HK USP 9 mm.
        Last edited by Mikedenmark; 05-21-2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Mine is a dkl too.
          The paint ( very dark green, not the normal SW. armed forces green) has been painted on top of the tan. Over the markings ( dkl, lubricant codes, number)

The battery box is only painted on the outside, the inside is tan, and retains the Eagle + hakenkreutz stamped.

This I find a bit strange, that the democracy loving Sweden would keep a such controversial symbol!

The set for sale could be additionally over painted and some of the markings highlighted white.

What kind of batteries were used?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X