No announcement yet.

Spare parts for Flak binoculars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems there were three models of sun shades, one without the shutter, then one with a shutter that was operated with a lever on the top and rotated on a horisontal level, then a model with a vertically rotated shutter that was operated with a lever on the side.

Internet based photos of the last model show that many had a red stripe on the sun shade. I would love to know why. Makes no sense of having an object painted with a camouflage colour then applying a nice hi viz red stripe on it?

I am looking for the last (vertical) type, ideally, but would be happy with any!

You take care Binoswede, and stay safe, as our dear country seems to follow a different route in the COVID battle then the rest of the World!
    Last edited by Lauritz; 03-27-2020, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I don´t think a red stripe will make a big difference to the camo.

Some years ago, I happened to see a re-enactor group in Göteborg, Sweden. Assembled in an old swedish barrack, there were russians and german soldiers.
      Suddenly I realised how old war reports of german soldiers looking like grey lice could be true.

In that yard, between the barracks, the russian soldiers more or less blended in, even though their uniforms were brighter than the red bricks around them. Bright earth colours as they were.
      The germans, being in german grey uniforms, stood out, as clearly different from their background. I suppose the colour had way too much blue in it, to blend in with the "nature" colours of bricks.

In WWII the german army was aware that their colour schemes were bad in Russia. german uniforms and vehicles in german grey, just do NOT blend in with russian red dirt. It doesn´t matter in a Blitzkrieg, but once you stop, and dig in, it matter very much.

In WWI, the german army even tested RED uniforms in Russia, for the same reason.
      Imagine that, Pickelhaube and imperial german army soliders, in all red uniforms.
      As far as I know, no test uniforms has survived to this day. ( I would love to know what the actual colour was)(( And I would love to get my hands on a genuine red Pickelhaube.))

Point here is, red and green colours blend well. Blue does not. Hence the red uniforms and the small significance of a red stripe.

And yes, take care out there.

By train, I am 30 minutes away from swedish cafe´s, and no, I don´t want to go. When seen from Copenhagen., Sweden looks like Spring Break in Florida.
      I hope they manage. I do not want to participate in the experiment.
      (Every cafe and restaurant here in Denmark is closed, and has been for a week. Total curfew not happened, though. Yet)
      Last edited by Mikedenmark; 03-27-2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I am sure you are correct.

But what function had the red stripe?

I would also love to know why the ‘third ‘ sun screen visor was designed, as the production of it must have been more complicated.

The shutter -less screen is on a bino with serial number starting on a 2, the one operated from the top starts with a 3.
        Both seem to be original to the binos, the colour, wear marks, aging, is exactly corresponding to the main body of the bino.

I have never physically inspected the third version.

Comment

I looked at some photo´s.
          The reason for the simplified shutter might be the price.

The version without the sunshades may be for navy use:https://www.ima-usa.com/products/ori...31253862711365

For a 6 meter rangefinder. Meaning either ship or shore tower. Likely in a sheltered position.
          Which also means horisontal measurements. I think. I can see on Vacani´s homepage, the graticule is rather complicated.

The one for radar, marked FMG 41(T) FunkMessGerät 41 Telefunken
          https://militariaplaza.nl/archive-38...mg-41-t-detail
          It has the red stripe, so, perhaps, the red stripe has to do with handling the binocular?

Odd thing is, Vacani shows one where the red stripe is in a different position.

I think the one for the FMG was used to ensure the position between the FMG and the cannons or other battery components.
          If so, why not a rundblickfernrohr, why exactly a 12x60. And, why not a monocular? Would have been cheaper.

Comment

SV Militaria has parts for optics as well.

I have a whole setup with box, stand, turn table, etc. that was shipped from Dresden to Columbus Ohio at the end of the war

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Robb, there is one sunshade for sale on Fleabay.
              Is in UK.
              Seems to have the correct colour

Comment

I am looking for a quick sight for the 12x60 binocular. Anybody has one for sale or knows how to find? h.dellepoort@hotmail.com

Comment

20200729_164306.jpg
                  If anyone is interested I have some good quality reproduction sunshades (late model)
                  PM me for details

This is what they look like fitted.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by DPI; 08-17-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X