Leica IIIa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glaser View Post
    I don't want to be rude nor mess up your party, but until I see an eagle or an Eigentum engraving on a Leica in a wartime picture or movie I am a non believer of any of those
    that's totally a fair opinion, no offense taken.

I know James Lager has done extensive research on the cameras, and I've also confirmed it with Erwin Puts and Lars Netopil.

I would really love to see a photo of a camera, as you mentioned, with these inscriptions too!

Comment

Glaser. try to take a close look at the photo I linked to. The one with the navy KB with 2 Leica´s.

The one to the left has dark patches where the M marking and the eagle is. I believe a detailed version of that photo will show the markings clearly enough to disperse any doubt.
      I found it at the Bundesarchiv, but they do not offer a high resolution online. Unless you pay for it.

The case for the one to the right looks pretty normal to me. I do not recall ever having held a Leica with such rings. And I have had some leica´s in my hands. But then again, pure chance perhaps.
      Eigentum Leica´s from Luftwaffe are pretty well known. It is when a Leica has a Luftwaffe eagle one should be wary.

Comment

Thx for posting the link to the picture, but for me there is absolutely nothing to see that could be usefull as evidence because if you blow up the picture the details get sloppy. I will be of course quite difficult to find a picture of a Leica made by another photographer like the nice one of the Kriegsberichter, were coincidentally the markings are detailed and readible. Let the chase begin

Comment

not a Leica and no markings visible, but I am getting close .
          104046517-kriegsmarine-axis-powers-marine-sailor (1).jpg

Comment

and closer

leica.jpg

Comment

almost ....

Comment

almost

leica ss soldier.jpg

Comment

almost again
                  leica2.jpg

Comment

almost :-)
                    leica3.jpg

Comment

Do you know what the cost might be? I am really curious to see the camera closer!

Originally posted by Mikedenmark View Post
                      Glaser. try to take a close look at the photo I linked to. The one with the navy KB with 2 Leica´s.

The one to the left has dark patches where the M marking and the eagle is. I believe a detailed version of that photo will show the markings clearly enough to disperse any doubt.
                      I found it at the Bundesarchiv, but they do not offer a high resolution online. Unless you pay for it.

The case for the one to the right looks pretty normal to me. I do not recall ever having held a Leica with such rings. And I have had some leica´s in my hands. But then again, pure chance perhaps.
                      Eigentum Leica´s from Luftwaffe are pretty well known. It is when a Leica has a Luftwaffe eagle one should be wary.

Comment

I think it was € 28.something. I can check
                        https://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/dba...1II-MN-1004-17
                        https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...dberichter.jpg
                        This the best image I can find. It seems the payment is only for commercial use.
                        To get closer, one needs to look at the original. Odd thing is, this was scanned with a lower resolution than other photo´s.
                        Taken in april 1940, Norway.

Glaser. I have also been playing with the photo, and you are right. Not sharp enough. But I still see darkness where the M number and the eagle should be.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Mikedenmark; 02-20-2020, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Here are some close ups of the inscriptions

M33

Eagle

Comment

Here's a better view of the glass, I have a feeling some might be interested in this. Serial number is also dated to 1939.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Just came across this topic. Did you do any more research on the eagle. I find it really odd looking. Like an enlarged Waffenamt eagle with a not fitting oversized swastika. I would always ask, why put a random eagle on it, as every Leica from 1933-1945 was made in Nazi-Germany.
                              As reference, here's my 1939 Leica IIIa Odin Netherlands imported camera with Summitar. A IIIa has rings on the side for a strap.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Could the original owners of the cameras had the eagle engraved on a private basis? Jewellers in Kiel, Lorient or wherever?
                                They all seem different to me. Almost amateurish.
                                Nothing like the bino engravings.
                                Or is it just me?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X