No announcement yet.

N&G goggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually believe that this cardboard might be original to the canister. It smells very old, is a perfect fit, and may be all they had when they produced these. It would make a great discussion.
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

As you can see the strap on mine is very thin and has no elasticity left to it. The goggles themselves have no mark on them that I can see anywhere. They are thick and fairly heavy for their size.
        Attached Files

Comment

I think your goggles are fine..

Something I've noticed..

The N & G goggles with the screws in the nose bridge "always" originaly have the multiple parts thin straps..
          Wrong or right ?!

Now a question :
          Are the ones with the screws in the nose bridge completely foldable and do they have the the " Nigura" mark in the frame ?

Most I've seen where completely foldable, but where they all in this configuration ?

If so, I'm looking for this type and for those who doesn't care I've a other 3rd type with thin strap in trade or other things..

Jos.
          Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 07-14-2007, 08:39 PM.

Comment

I am not so sure. I tried "folding" this pair and was afraid to go too far as to possibly break them. They do not appear to want to go that far.

Comment

I came in late and, therefore, missed all Harry's illustrations.

However, I am now more confused than when I was on page one. I got to the last page understanding that screws, holding lens frames and nosepiece were on fakes. Ok, can originals have both posts or screws?

Sorry, but this has really left me banging my head, and I don't even own a pair. I could have bought many pairs, over the last few years, but never knew the difference, and listened to the disagreements of those who I thought would know for sure.

The good news is that the prices keep low, so even a mistake is not too costly.

Bob Hritz
              In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Bob, to try and catch you up, the pair I have are originals. The issue with some of the fakes has centered around not the existence of set screws but rather the position of them. In the above example the set screws on the nose piece are recessed and do not stick above the top of the nosepiece. On the repros, they appear to be sticking out above the top of the nosepiece. The other part of the debate, amongst several issues, is the strap hinges. It is tough without Harrys pics for comparison, but perhaps Jos, or someone else can post some other pics as this is the only pair I own.

Comment

Another observation that I have had is the detail in the stitching on the strap at the hinge points. On my goggles the stitching is very tight and runs the full width of the strap on every occasion found along the lenght of the strap. In looking backwards at some of the previous examples, the stitching is much different than above. Thoughts?

Comment

Thats a cracking pair Suber ,I should imagine they would have used any cardboard availiable . "The good news is that the prices keep low, so even a mistake is not too costly" ******163;300+ isnt what I would call low .Rob
                    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Thanks Robb! They are pretty nice, but used heavily it appears. I am most curious to see everyones examples of the THIN strap versions to compare the stitching on the straps.

Comment

Suber - can you un-roll the cardboard and provide a photo? I know a strange request but for some reason it looks familar.

As for the difference in construction that is a tough one since there has been no hard evidence either way about the post war copies if they actually exist... or are the left over parts assembled... The only thing I think we can all agree on is that the booklet I posted and the box questionable.

More on this later...

BTW Has anyone reviewed the information on the German site I posted in the begining... very interesting conversation IMHO.

John

PS still waiting for one person to reply with additional thoughts on their comments...

Comment

LW Googles

Hello,<O</O
                          I want to contribute to this interesting thread. Reciently I got a dug out fragment of N&G type googles, obviously genuine, that allowed me to make some comparisons with the one I have in good conditions from my collection<O</O
                          What I found in common is the way the vent slots are made. The marks of a circular tool are quite evident. Could be taken this as a authenticity proof??. What do you think? Yours also have the marks? Awaiting you inputs<O</O
                          <O</O
                          <O</O
                          Best regards<O</O
                          Fran<O</O
                          Last edited by Francisco V.; 11-28-2007, 03:04 AM.

Comment

LW Googles

Tool marks in the dug out example:

Comment

LW Googles

Tool marking in the one in good condition of my collection:

Comment

LW Googles

Another interesting fact is about lenses. To this moment we learned that these googles were made not only by Nitsche&Günther in Rathenow, but by other contractors.<O</O
                                I found differences in darkness shades in two spare lenses in my collection. Produced by differents makers??<O</O
                                I think so.

Regards
                                Fran
                                <O</O

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X