Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
    Why he did wear the ferrules is not mentioned. I guess he adapted
    this on own accord or while he once was an army general.
    He was the man and could do that!
    Wilhelm,
    Isn't he simply wearing a Heer general's aguilette? Looks alike a fairly early pic (Göring appears to hold the rank of GO, not of GFM). When were the regulations for a specific LW generals aguilette introduced, do you know?

Comment

See post 9...

Don

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
        See post 9...

Don
        Great, so we’ve come to the same (in my case, tentatieve) conclusion, thanks for highlighting that Don. Which does not address my question (to Wilhelm, but feel free to answer it) when the LW general’s aguilettes were introduced. If they were at the time the pic was taken, then the fact that Goering wears what look to be Heer general’s aguilettes has nothing to do with when the pic was taken, and he may in fact be wearing something that except for the ferrules, complied with regulations. Wilhelm’s comment about the ferrules could point in that direction. Wilhelm, can you clarify/help out? Did the regulations cover the double strand type aguilettes Goering is wearing, is he wearing Heer aguilettes or is he just wearing something else (NSFK?) or something of his own fancy (again)?

Comment

My take on it is that it is taken immediately after the unveiling of the Luftwaffe in 1935. Goering, who had been elevated to General der Infanterie by Hindenburg in 1934, simply used his Heer aiguilettes. Perhaps the LW pattern was not available yet, and he made due. I note the apparent lack of a breast eagle as well as the very early collar tabs, in combination with the early cap eagle.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
            My take on it is that it is taken immediately after the unveiling of the Luftwaffe in 1935. Goering, who had been elevated to General der Infanterie by Hindenburg in 1934, simply used his Heer aiguilettes. Perhaps the LW pattern was not available yet, and he made due. I note the apparent lack of a breast eagle as well as the very early collar tabs, in combination with the early cap eagle.

Don
            Possible, but I just found a pic that shows Herr Herring in 1938 as GFM with the same aguilettes. So there may be more to the story. The pic can be found here: https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-he...-50047128.html

Comment

And here is an early pic of Goering with what looks to be the standard single strand LW general’s aguilettes: https://www.gettyimages.nl/detail/ni...?adppopup=true BTW, I would need to check, but from memory, at the time of the ‘unveiling’ of the LW in 1935, Goering still wore the NSFK style cap eagle.

Comment

To much questions. The army type with double braid and ferrules came with an order from June 29, 1935.
                In the beginning it was in use only experimentally. The same type was also worn by the SS and SS-TV
                (but for them not gilded). The photo from Alamy is in my book on page 345, but mine is NOT cropped.

The aiguillette for the Luftwaffe was taken over from the Deutsche Luftfahrt. Göring already then did
                use the one with double braid and ferrules. This form was not allowed to others. Göring did in fact wear
                various forms.
                So, immediately after the transformation the Luftwaffe used the single braid (no ferrules). With orders
                from September 7, 1936 the Luftwaffe generals were allowed the aiguillette with two braids, but NO
                ferrules. Göring sticked to his old one and did wear also in later years with occasions the old version
                with ferrules.
                And as I said: buy the book and you do not need to ask questions anymore! The book has 640 pages
                and is loaded with information and above all many beautiful uniform-photos.

By the way: after the unveiling Göring did wear the DLV/Deutsche Luftfahrt pattern eagle, not the NSFK
                one, as this organization did not exist then! It was instituted April 17, 1937. This and all suchlike info
                one can find in my book. I know people think it is just about aiguillettes, but no, it tells when an aiguillette
                was worn and with what occasions. So, think about the various dress-forms.

Comment

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
                  To much questions. The army type with double braid and ferrules came with an order from June 29, 1935.
                  In the beginning it was in use only experimentally. The same type was also worn by the SS and SS-TV
                  (but for them not gilded). The photo from Alamy is in my book on page 345, but mine is NOT cropped.

The aiguillette for the Luftwaffe was taken over from the Deutsche Luftfahrt. Göring already then did
                  use the one with double braid and ferrules. This form was not allowed to others. Göring did in fact wear
                  various forms.
                  So, immediately after the transformation the Luftwaffe used the single braid (no ferrules). With orders
                  from September 7, 1936 the Luftwaffe generals were allowed the aiguillette with two braids, but NO
                  ferrules. Göring sticked to his old one and did wear also in later years with occasions the old version
                  with ferrules.
                  And as I said: buy the book and you do not need to ask questions anymore! The book has 640 pages
                  and is loaded with information and above all many beautiful uniform-photos.

By the way: after the unveiling Göring did wear the DLV/Deutsche Luftfahrt pattern eagle, not the NSFK
                  one, as this organization did not exist then! It was instituted April 17, 1937. This and all suchlike info
                  one can find in my book. I know people think it is just about aiguillettes, but no, it tells when an aiguillette
                  was worn and with what occasions. So, think about the various dress-forms.
                  Thanks very interesting, many thanks Wilhelm. Left you a message (your pm box is full).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X