Gielsmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Danger UXB - Show Us Your German Aerial Bombs, Bomb Disposal, And Related Items...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This "cutaway" example came out of the fantastic SD-2 collection of the late Kevan "Butterfly" Hinson.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WWIIBuff; 12-08-2017, 03:52 AM.

Comment

This example shows how the SD-2's were packed inside their container. Once the container opened and the SD-2's were disbursed, the wings would open and spin the arming vein attached to the fuze, thus arming it before it hit the ground.
      Attached Files

Comment

A couple SD-2 fuzes including another Z.(70)B anti-handling fuze. The fuze in the back is an early "screw-in" Z.(41) impact fuze.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by WWIIBuff; 12-08-2017, 03:53 AM.

Comment

One of the largest and most damaging raids using the SD-2 was on the British town of Grimsby in June of 1943. Many people were killed because the did not know what the bombs were and they made the fatal decision to touch them. As a result, the Home Office came up with warning posters like this one.
          Attached Files

Comment

Great stuff John! This is a wonderful thread, thanks to everyone who posted.
            Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Another piece from my collection.

A Luftwaffe bomb fuze discharge tool...[emoji848]

It’s in relic condition but for $20 shipped from Russia, who am I to whinge.

I “cleaned” it up some by soaking in in concrete dissolver for a few hrs. This removed the corrosion etc.

Comment

Thanks nice. I've never seen one of those before. Please show a picture of the bottom as well.

Comment

WWIIBuff - This is " Kurzschlußstecker "
                  http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=714048

Bottom :

Kurzschlußstecker I.modell
                  http://www.harryszuenderecke.de/inde...sstecker-1-mod

Comment

Danger UXB - Show Us Your German Aerial Bombs, Bomb Disposal, And Related Items...

Some shots of the bottom of mine.

KLARKON as always thanks for the info. You’re the best [emoji95]

Comment

Thanks guys, I always enjoy seeing a new item I did not know about. Now there is one more thing on my list that I need to add to the collection.

Thanks for the link to Harry's page klarkon, of course he would have one, he has everything.

Comment

Very cool....I've seen our crab tree, never saw theirs though!

P

Comment

Danger UXB

Hello again,

Been digging through the old photos and scanned a couple at our local library with the help of our daughter, one of the staff!

First are the 50Kg SD and the 250 SD, as described earlier, with the Winchester Council paint removed and sitting outside the back door of our first home - with a couple of smaller pieces. As said before, the 250 can be seen in Richard Heaume's Occupation Museum in Guernsey.

Second is the 50Kg under new ownership in Devon with the fins my late pal obtained in a Bristol antique shop - This photo dates from the hot summer of '76.

In the box of photos is a 7.92mm 15-round card box and therein is a small piece of TNT that I still have from the 50 Kg. It had been emptied by hand with a chisel, or similar, and there was still some TNT in the nose under the fuse pocket where the disarmer couldn't reach!

Regards,

Grossfuss
                          Attached Files

Comment

Danger UXB

Hi,

First photo is of a "big-un" which used to be on display at Fort Widley on Portsdown Hill above Portsmouth when it was a museum.

Second photo was taken behind a hangar at the museum at RAF Cosford where I was taking my technical course, again in the summer of '76. I found this large SC bomb and, with the help of the chap in the photo, snapped it alongside our long-suffering A35. Sadly, I had to roll it back inside - this one wouldn't fit in the car!

Regards,

Grossfuss
                            Attached Files

Comment

Danger UXB

Finally - after reading "A Cold Blooded Business" as a schoolboy I've had a lifelong interest in German aerial ordnance. It was that book which engendered a long term desire for an SD2 which has only be realised in the last couple of years. I still haven't managed to find a mint one yet.

Naturally, on my "bucket list" was the longing to find a UXB - not unusual surely! Around 1993 or 94 a small group of us re-dug the crash site of a Ju87 shot down on 18th August 1940 at Chidham in West Sussex. We got down to the bottom of a previous dig which took place in the 70's (in "The Blitz - Then and Now") and there was nothing to be found. Undaunted we moved the digger to one side of the first hole and not far below the surface we found the corroded remains of magnesium fins with traces of red paint - SD! Shortly followed by the two under-wing bombs depicted!

At this point we had to stop and the RAF were informed, arriving later in the day. Naturally I hoped the bombs would be steamed empty but, sadly they were cracked open with a controlled explosion. I still have my part of one casing, while my pal Ian, who organised the dig, had the larger remains of the other. On an earlier reconnaissance visit, while walking the ploughed field, without using a detector, Ian paused, said "Here's a good bit" and picked up the silver back of an EK1 from one of the crew from the surface of a field which had been farmed for over 50 years!

Thanks for your time!

Grossfuss
                              Attached Files

Comment

Great pics!
                                Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X